Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wheel bearings 85 Carrera???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Wheel bearings 85 Carrera???

What would be an indication of bad wheel bearings on a 85 911? Would I hear it? Feel it? Not sure? I have a strange noise coming from the front of the car that is kind like when you drive a couple of feet with an emergency break on. It is only below 5 mph when I hear it. Car drives fine at all speeds but I was curious if anyone might have an idea. It is kind of a squeal but in a lower harmonic tone. Kind of like a low note on a clarinet. Now - how is that for a crazy description. And to top it off it doesn't happen all of the time.

Thanks,
Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I have a car that color I'll apply my useless opinion. Sounds like a dragging brake pad. Could mean seveal things. If the brake hoses are old then they need to be replaced. Could be the caliper itself then a rebuild in order. In any case these are easy fixes. I have the same thing happening to my
'86. I will save that project when it gets colder and I have nothing else to do.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, it sounds like a dragging brake pad. I also agree that it's easy to fix.

Try coasting (no gas, shift into neutral) and see if the car pulls to one side. Check the wheels for excessive brake pad dust on one wheel. If a brake piston is sticking you can get pulling under braking as well. Check the rotors for wear with a brake rotor caliper.

If it were my car, I'd grab the top of the front tire, and shake with your body weight. You should feel a slight "clunk". When the bearings are really loose, you can get a hum when you turn on an incline. To be totally sure of the wheel bearings, you must take them out and inspect them. It's worth it if you ask me, especially since grease is relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I will try to coast in neutral and see if there is any pulling to one side. I haven't noticed more dust on any of the front wheels on the outside. The inside is very dirty on all wheels. Need to clean them up sometime in the near future.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The brake hoses can swell from the inside while showing no apparent problems from the outside. This will cause one of the calipers to hold pressure and the brake will drag. You may not feel it from inside the car.

You can also drive it a short distance, get out, and put your hand on each wheel. If one is hotter than the others (careful!) then that is the one that is dragging.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

csmab,

Your front end is talking to you, you should stop and listen before it gets expensive. I was suppose to be in Aubrey today, but begged off. I wish I would have seen your post earlier, I would have been happy to come by and look at your car.

You need to get your front end up in the air, like has been said earlier, grab the top and bottom of the wheel to see if you have play in the bearings. There should be NO play... Then remove the wheels and check on the thickness of the brake pads.

If you haven't done this before maybe you can find another Pelican in the area to help you, it's basic stuff. Do you have a Bentley's Repair Manual?

If the car is new to you and you don't know if the bearings have been serviced it might be a good idea to do this anyway. Like has been said, grease is cheap...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You guys have very similar looking cars. They'd make a nice photo.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings 85 Carrera???