Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
buellrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice

Hey all,

Sold my 964 a year back....and i miss having an older 911....I would like a nice 3.2 or SC....

Anyway,

I have the opportunity to buy a super clean, documented rebuilt (full top end, head studs, and all the regular goodies), 1988 Commemorative 911 3.2 Coupe with 200Km on the clock for 24,000 + tax - so around 27,000.00 all in. Very clean....I'd say 8.5 out of 10 - original paint, stone chips, are the only flaws I was able to find.

Good deal? ok deal? Looking for some opinions and advice...
Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

a lot of the price may depend on location and you don't saywhere you are from / but I woud say 24K for a solid documented Carrera is average .. not a " deal" by any means. But it is a little special being the comm edition. Is that the one with the signature in the seat ?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
buellrunner
Instructor

Yip, the one with the signature on the seats...

Im near Toronto Ontario....

Thats whats I thought as well - 24 plus taxes takes me into the 27 range...ALOT of cash!!!

I REALLY didnt want to spend that kind of cash - in fact Ive been reading and researching and Im finding that there is some excellent value in the SC cars as well...

And they are more reasonable in price. The driving experience should be VERY close in the two cards..
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

hey your local ...

get on the canadian forum uner regions ... some guys may have cars your lookin for too.

In fact there has been one of those parked at my office all summer. Mississauga road and 401 area ( the guy must work there ) . I wonder if it is the same car. he has the Fuchs painted black and I think on that car they were originally painted body colour.

is it a Canadian car or grey market ? If this is a true canadian car and checks out it may not be bad .. you can't really count the government peice .. although I hear ya .
I would say if you can get it from him for 21-22 I would go for it ... cause Canadian cars tend to be a bit higher.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
buellrunner
Instructor

Yup, Im local...

Its a canadian car....and the Fuchs are painted the body color...may be a different car....

Its nice and clean....interior colour is "ok" - its the same as the exterior...but the car is clean and I guess a little unique... They look much hotter in White with Black fuchs!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

First key question would be how well-documented the rebuild was and who did it. Assuming that it really is a quality job, then that is a major plus. Also, I think he CE cars are very nice. Of course, it is also a G50 car, which is another plus.

At $24K Canadian (I’m local too), it certainly is not out-of-line, but it is not a killer deal either.

Definitely worth a look. If you think it passes your evaluation then get a good PPI. Check the car carefully for rust – do not assume that being a galvanized car makes rust out-of-the-question. It does not.

As a point of comparison, I paid $18.8K Canadian for a 1985 Carrera one and a half years ago. This is how it stacks up compared to what I know about the car you are looking at:

1) Mileage of mine is lower (170K km), but it has not had a top end. However, leak down numbers were amongst the best I’ve seen, no oil burning and all head studs are intact.

2) Transaxle in mine is 915 – simply not as good as a G50 IMO, but my 915 seems to be pretty decent.

3) Paint was original, but tired.

4) Interior was in good condition in terms of no tears etc. But the carpet (tan) was very dirty and the leather on the dash top and parcel shelf was badly shrunk.

5) Body and undercarriage parts exceptionally rust-free with the major exception of the battery tray area – watch out for that.

I bought the car figuring I had solid mechanicals, a rust free body that was not in an accident and then a bunch of cosmetic issues I could deal with. By the time I got the paint and interior decent, I was way beyond 24K. Then I had to fix the suspension pan... now I am re-doing the suspension (which is something that a lot of the cars at this age and mileage might need however - especially the rubber bushings).

Drive lots of 911s to gain perspective of how good a particular one really is.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Good points above .. I htink if you want white ,, wait for white . the CE cars only came in that specific colour combo. Nice to see a couple of those around.

There is another CE car that comes to our Saturday get togethers from time to time. nicely lowered but is not as " nice" as other cars I have seen.

Anyway enjoy the search and when you pick up your car come out and join us at our top secret location in Toronto ... saturdays at 10am In the summers behind chapters on the queensway, in the winters at Artisanos on Islington .

Quick Reply: Need Advice