Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 SC smoke on start up

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 11:22 AM
floodbkt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911 SC smoke on start up

is it normal to see a little smoke on start up after the car has been sitting up for awhile? normal oil consumption.

thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Roamer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flood, in short, yes.

The reasons 911 smoke on start up is because they are flat engines. When you shut the car down some valves are going to be open and the oil in the valve train will succumb to gravity and enter the cylinder(s). On start up you are just burning it off. However, if it pursists more than a few minutes after startup you may have a problem with your valve seats that will need a looking into.

When I first got my 911, I was a little concerned, but the Porsche dealer checked her out and found that she was actually in excellent running order and told me that the new 911s smoke just as much.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:08 PM
Greg

Once after I had left my SC sitting for a significant period of time (>1 month) it smoked significantly. I had let it sit with a nearly empty gas-tank. Refilling the fuel eliminated the smoking.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Greg

Once after I had left my SC sitting for a significant period of time (>1 month) it smoked significantly. I had let it sit with a nearly empty gas-tank. Refilling the fuel eliminated the smoking.

Quick Reply: 911 SC smoke on start up