Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My first 911....maybe

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't agree...I like stock cars and if I were in the market this would be the perfect car to buy. Assuming that the car is as good as it looks, has records, and its all original...it doesn't get much better than that. Given the costs of rust repairs, restorations, paint jobs, engine/transmission repairs, new rubber, seats and so forth....I would be glad to pay 22-23k for a car like that.
If you are going to start doing modifications because you want to track and you have no interest in a stock car...then move on and buy something else. I personally think this is a great find if all checks out. Great buy at 20k...25k is a starting point...but if you love the car and color combo don't mind paying 22-23k.
DO NOT TAKE TO THE DEALER...some of those mechanics were not even born when this car was sold. Find out through a local club or old time P mechanic who they recommend.
abe

Originally Posted by wwest
Way, 'way over-priced. Find an equivalent for 12-14k and spend ~2,000 for upgrades and a good, STELLAR detail.

Last edited by abe; 11-07-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

If the mileage proves out (and it looks like it might), then this could be a very attractive car. I went the route of spending less for an '85 with 107K and have spent a fortune making it as nice as that one APPEARS to be (and it's not over yet). You may be able to get the price down a bit, but if it is a genuine low mileage car in great condition, I would say it may be worth it.

Two things I would add to check:

1) The '85's have uniquely high seat mounts. Make sure you like the way you fit in the car. '84 and '86-on Carreras all have more head room.

2) Check the sheet metal on the battery tray and front trunk floor VERY carefully...
Old 11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
2) Check the sheet metal on the battery tray and front trunk floor VERY carefully...
You should put that in your sig
Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I ld. Find out through a local club or old time P mechanic who they recommend.
abe
Determine what PCA region the car is located in. Then google that particular region's web page for local independent Porsche/Euro service centers advertising on the region's site. They would be the best source for PPI. And there's a good chance they'd be familiar with your car.

Quick Reply: My first 911....maybe