oil cooler o-ring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 PM
tommyt911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler o-ring help

Hello All,
I’m new to this forum and I hope I get lots of great info as well as give help whenever I can.
I’m going to jump right in and see if I can get some information from all you 911 masters. I have a 68’ 911 with an oil leak. WOW ! I know, an oil leak! No way! Seriously though, I’m pretty sure this one is coming from the oil cooler because after much cleaning and degreasing, rinsing and drying, I got under the engine while it was idling on the car ramps and it was leaking profusely from the bottom of the oil cooler right between the two mounting bolts. So I put an order in at Pelican Parts dot com and ordered the three o-rings that fit in there. I figured that this would be the first step. If it still leaks after that then it’s time for a new Behr oil cooler. So I unbolted the oil cooler (after draining the oil) and removed the O-rings. They were red and had some white sealer coated around the edges. To my surprise none of the O-ring or sealer stuck to the oil-cooler or the engine side. NOW, here are my questions:
1. Do I need to put this sealant on the new O-rings before I install them? If so what kind?
2. How well do I need to clean out the port holes or O-ring seats before I pop the new ones in? What can/can’t I use to clean the oil cooler and engine side……. Or are the Q-tips I used good enough?
3. What is the torque setting on these four bolts?
4. Should I replace the four nylon threaded bolts with new ones/ Hardware store or Pelican Parts?
Thanks All !!!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightly coat each Oring with clean motor oil. Definitely use new lock nuts. I"m not sure what torque you should use for a 68.

- Andrew
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The torque for those nuts should be the same for most 911 engines. My 88 Carerra 3.2 Liter says 18 ft/lb's . Thats what I would use.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

you can actually flush your oil ooler I would definitely do that while you have it out and use compressed air to dry it. any solvent will do really as long as you get it all out and dry out with comressed air ... I think you will find all kinds of gunkin your cooler after all those years.
The key to it not leakng again is getting it very clean brake cleaner should do a great job and anything else you need. I am not sure about the sealer though as you do not want stuff in their that can block your cooler ..

any pics of your car ?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder about pressure testing the oil cooler as well....

Quick Reply: oil cooler o-ring help