Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Picked up my new to me 1988 911, theres a story

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your PCA membership going, and see what region they put you in. Given your location under your avatar, I think it would be Chesapeake region. A few folks from that region run with the Potomac folks and others.

Put your roadtrip shoes on and come out to the Drivers Education event at Summit Point, WV (Summit Point racetrack) this weekend (all day Saturday and Sunday event). Not too too far from you.

You won't be able to get on track without first doing a HPDC (high performance driving class), but it will give you a good sense of what goes on there - and Saturday should make for a nice, sunny drive. Different run groups hit the track at 9am and go until about 4. It would be good to get there around 10-11am to get some good spectator time in.

HPDC will be in the spring time, sign up for that, then sign up for the next DE and you're off!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Gorgeous, Talane...congratulations!

The very same thing happened to me when I was driving home in my first Pcar ('95 993). Was going only about 30-35 mph, and decided to make a sharp right into a strip mall parking lot, which was at lower elevation than the road. The back-end came around so fast that I was caught completely by surprise. I was able to correct just in time without hitting the curb (no other cars around luckily). I sat in the lot for a few minutes and realized that the 911 is a completely different beast than any other car on the road...I was in love

Like Rick suggested, DE's are a must.

Enjoy in good health!

Last edited by LeonardoC2S; 10-30-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Pirellis should be good. You never know, maybe you hit oil or something. Shiite happens.

What Rick says: PCA will be the best $35 or so you ever spent per year. You've got some great tracks in your neighborhood. All you need to do is get the car inspected by an approved tech shop (usually free) and make sure you've got new brake fluid (or done in the last 6 months), a helmet and the willingness to learn. Many regions offer helmet rentals, so you can test the water without investing in equipment. That's it. You'll learn more in one weekend about how to drive your car than you can in years on the street.

Don't say I didn't warn you: IT IS ADDICTING AND IF YOU SUCCUMB, IT CAN BE A SLIPPERY SLOPE.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Talane! Love the color
Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 PM
talane
Instructor

Thanks everyone, I am going to attend the first DE I can get to and the HPDC. Really looking forward to learning as much as I can about how this beast works.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New tires? Make sure: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Nice looking ride.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

I have not had mine come around with trailing throttle yet, but I have kicked the rear out several times in the wet under throttle. I find it very predictable in the dry, but in the wet it can really take you by surprise.
If the road is anyways greasy, and then the rain hits, it's like driving in the snow!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Have been following this thread because last weeked at the last of the season local PCA autocross (cold rain and light snow by the end of my last run) I let up too quickly on the accelerator as I thought I was going too fast into a couple of gates and also surprised how quickly the rear kicked out. Manged to control it between the gates without running over any cones, lost some time, but wasn't really sure what had happened.

2nd autocross since I bought the car this past summer and also did a 2 day PCA instructor led DE at a local track... all good weather.

So by letting up on the gas abruptly as I turned, I have shifted the weight to the rear of the car resulting in the tail kicking out? Abruptly I think is the key word.

Lighter lift of the gas pedal or maybe just kept going for it... I was running all season tires and they seemed to be sticking better than other cars with summer tires.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt Lane may have a point. I remember the first time I had my car in a parking lot full of well maintained 911s of the same vintage. One guy even commented "you have a lot of negative camber in the rear"....he went on to ask if I do a lot of autocross as that would be "the only useful place for that much." Little did I know I'd spin the car around on an on ramp just a few hours later....

It may be time to just check the rear camber. Now, having fixed the issue and removed almost all my negative camber (caused my gravity pulling on the old T-bars) I have to really really want it to slide to get it to slide. It's no longer Mr. Toads wild ride, but rather on rails. I can still power it into a slide, but only when I want it.

Rusnak's method with his digital HUSHY brand carpenter's level and some new shocks courtesy of Steve Weiner and she is as good as new.

It's worth a look anyway.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
talane
Instructor

Doug,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definately have that looked at. The drivers course is something that I really want to do for my own edification but I need to make sure the car is top shape. Great feedback from everyone.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did I make a sloppy post or what?

You got my point.

Enjoy the ride....and the education.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
ricster
Banned

Beautiful car. I have the same color combo in a coupe. I am still going to say you had cold tires and that made the spin happen. These tires work like crap at 50 degrees or less.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
talane
Instructor

Doug, I did get the point, and Ric may be correct. For me I'll just say I need to improve my skills. I got no skills and the youth says.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

That car looks good and I like the color combo. The contrasting piping on the seats is a nice touch.

Although 95% of the time I am a coupe guy, when I see a picture of a nice Targa like that, it gets me thinking...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 AM
talane
Instructor

All good stuff. Glad I joined the group. I hope to meet some of the locals soon. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Picked up my new to me 1988 911, theres a story