Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warmup Regulator Victory!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
914v8porjekt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warmup Regulator Victory!

I recently was working on a 2.7L CIS Car. It sat for more than 10 years. Needless to say there were alot of things that it needed. Fortunately it still had good compression and was able to start her up. After a new tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the fuel distributer, new wires, new sparks plugs. However it had a very bad miss at cold startups all the way until it would finally warm up to 180F. But it still showed some misfires sometimes. I did alot of research to see what could be wrong. I drew the conclusion that the car was running VERY lean because of the backfiring through the exhaust, no black smoke from being rich, and the temps would continue to increase to 220. Not to mention that the car would eventually run better once warmup,making sense because as the car warms up, the control pressure should go up. But mine was always high because the WUR was not able to bleed off control pressure back to the tank at cold because of the clogged inlet of the WUR.

Since the car was suspiciously running lean. I decided to take off the Warmup regulator to see if it was clogged and not letting control pressures leak off during cold to warmup periods. Sure enough I found the inlet for the control pressure line semi clogged and I cleaned her up good with carb cleaner. I did not mess with "knocking plugs in or out" because i figured that since the car ran before it was parked, the control pressures would be ok once it cleaned up.

Sure enough when I put everything back together, the car started up and ran perfect!!!!! Cold starting issues completely gone and lots of power without misfires or hesitation all the way up to warm. And guess what, no more overheating.

Just wanted to share this because there may be some people experiencing the same problems from a simple clogged WUR.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice, good work and thanks for sharing!!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had the same problem. The fuel screen in the WUR was clogged with what looked like rust. I just wish I could say that it was all that was wrong

I believe I found mine when I saw that there was no difference between the control pressure and the system pressure.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest somewhere down the line to change the wur to the UnwiredTools UTCIS management system. I replaced my wur with the UTCIS unit and it works like a champ. Definitely no more starting problems or vapor lock. Good to hear that you were able to solve the problem. www.unwiredtools.com/utcis.asp

Originally Posted by 914v8porjekt
I recently was working on a 2.7L CIS Car. It sat for more than 10 years. Needless to say there were alot of things that it needed. Fortunately it still had good compression and was able to start her up. After a new tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the fuel distributer, new wires, new sparks plugs. However it had a very bad miss at cold startups all the way until it would finally warm up to 180F. But it still showed some misfires sometimes. I did alot of research to see what could be wrong. I drew the conclusion that the car was running VERY lean because of the backfiring through the exhaust, no black smoke from being rich, and the temps would continue to increase to 220. Not to mention that the car would eventually run better once warmup,making sense because as the car warms up, the control pressure should go up. But mine was always high because the WUR was not able to bleed off control pressure back to the tank at cold because of the clogged inlet of the WUR.

Since the car was suspiciously running lean. I decided to take off the Warmup regulator to see if it was clogged and not letting control pressures leak off during cold to warmup periods. Sure enough I found the inlet for the control pressure line semi clogged and I cleaned her up good with carb cleaner. I did not mess with "knocking plugs in or out" because i figured that since the car ran before it was parked, the control pressures would be ok once it cleaned up.

Sure enough when I put everything back together, the car started up and ran perfect!!!!! Cold starting issues completely gone and lots of power without misfires or hesitation all the way up to warm. And guess what, no more overheating.

Just wanted to share this because there may be some people experiencing the same problems from a simple clogged WUR.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information. Thanks for posting.

Brett

Quick Reply: Warmup Regulator Victory!