Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Noisy window...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 07:22 AM
carlitox33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Noisy window...

My driverīs window makes a rattling sound (like if it was loose) when it remains open to just about half window. If I leave it in the middle it will make no noise, neither will it, if the window is completely up or down. Anyone knows what could be going on?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Jgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be a loose window track -- that felt that lines the window frame wears out over time. That'd be my guess.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, try lowering the window from full up to the "trouble" point, then push the button/roll the crank back just a bit to snug it up. Does it still rattle? If so, check your window regulator.

There is a donut on the lock "rod" that goes to the latch assembl. That might be it as well.

There is also a small roll created when the inside panel of the door is created. The roll holds the door latch release cable. If this slips loose it will rattle against the inner door skin.

Really though, if the car is old enough you ought to strip it and regrease everything. On my '78SC with manual windows, the regrease and snug up of various bits made a world of difference: window slides up and down with little effort. This is esp. true for power windows where you never really get a sense of how gummed up these are.

Last point: if you have not already put in a doorstop reinforcement kit, you ought to open the door up just for that alone.

Good luck,
Jw
Old 02-13-2002, 03:28 AM
Clark Griswald
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the window strip felt comment. Very likely to be the problem given the age of your car. It can behave as you describe.

Open the inside door panel and it is easy to replace. And if that isn't it, with the panel open you should be able to identify the problem.

Quick Reply: Noisy window...