Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Upgrade front spoiler when adding whale tail? Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a logical thing to do is start with the front spoiler. If it matters, the factory spoiler mounting kit is a high quality system. I bought it and never regretted it.

This leaves you time to think through the rear spoiler options.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think a logical thing to do is start with the front spoiler. If it matters, the factory spoiler mounting kit is a high quality system. I bought it and never regretted it.
Are you refering to the rubber extension on the existing valance?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yes, I bought the factory front rubber valance thingy, and at the same time the factory front spoiler mounting kit. That kit is well-made, as is the factory license plate holder. One night on the way back from the coast, I ran over a plastic bumper from a Honda and tested the quality of my factory parts. Let's say it passed, but the license plate from the State of California failed.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911vet quote:
Who knows... I'll probably end up spending the money on new t-bars and bushings instead It would certainly make more sense.
that is my vote and how I have been evolving my car. get enough 'go parts' and improve your skills, and the other cars will have to look at your non-winged butt. once you are leading the pack, work on the 'show parts'.

when I see these honda civics with all the fender flares, f/r bumpers, aero kits, huge wings, huge tires, etc. and of course the 'flatulant' sounding muffler. then look at the rear tires and see the tiny drum brakes inside the 20" wheels.....
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Found these in my archives. Not sure where I got them from, but good info nonetheless! I think the spoilers have 'saved me' a few times...
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Porsche Gods, please forgive me for I know not what I've done:

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/porsche911.html
TOO funny. As I'm scanning down, there's a picture of a red "RS" ducktail shot. That's my friend Rod's car that we did in '91 or '92. Though it's actually a '72T chassis, that car has more real RS parts on it than most RS models were built with. (It was in Excellence 5-6 years ago, one of the original R Gruppe cars when Cris, Rod and I went from talking about early 911 hot rodding and Cris did something about it.)

As far as the charts above, it's consistent with what I found from seat-of-the-pants in the early '80's. We ran a 1 mile oval in Phoenix (Not PIR, the old U-Haul test facility at Rural/I-10), and I could run my turbo-tailed car flat while all the other guys had to feather it and hold about 80mph coming off the banking.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Believe me, the front end starts to get "light" at about 100 mph with no chin spoiler. The steering becomes vague and the car won't "turn in" as well on fast corners. You can definitely feel the difference if you add a tail, but no chin spoiler.

My car is an '82 SC, and I didn't even bother to drive it, after completing the installation of a 3.2 Carrera tail, until I had the chin spoiler installed.

3.3 L Turbo tails are unnecessarily large for narrow-bodied cars, I didn't consider one for my car.
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I did the front spoiler. I decided not to do the rear spoiler. To be honest I don't notice much of a difference even with a high speed track like Sebring.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

after a day at the track - How can you tell a Porsche is happy? The bugs in her teeth!
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ian's Cab has a Carrera spoiler.

If we can only help him put out those flames.....

http://avatars.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/s...tar12525_4.gif
Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

I added front and rear spoilers to my '88 last winter and the difference in the way the car feels is significant. More settled at all speeds, especially over 90-100. The whole car feels planted and it's much less influenced by crosswinds. Over 100, the car used to feel really light and skitterish - a little scary, but that's gone. I love 'em. The car is also lowered quite a bit and has a 1 degree nose-down attitude, which I think also helps settle it down - less air finding it's way underneath.

Front bumper is a Ruf aftermarket and I added my own 2" lip at the bottom. I would think the factory front lip would have a similar effect. Rear is a factory early Carrera tail.
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

You have got to remember this is a cabriolet - the cabs have convoluted air flow anyway.

My car does feel more planted at speed -
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I put the big tail on my race car, I found that I needed an even bigger front air dam. This one did the trick, but don't make the same mistake that I did. The increase in down force was too much for my little 3.0 SC engine w/CIS - after the body changes the car was actually .5 sec. slower on the big track at Willow Springs Raceway. Before doing too much with spoilers, flares, etc., make sure that you have enough motor to push the car through the air!
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

My understanding has always been front chin spoiler + rear tail is the ideal.

You can run a front chin spoiler (the rubber lip) with no tail (like I do), but the other way around is a no-no.

My vote for a cab is a proper Carrera tail + front chin spoiler.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

"The increase in down force was too much for my little 3.0 SC engine w/CIS - after the body changes the car was actually .5 sec. slower on the big track at Willow Springs Raceway. Before doing too much with spoilers, flares, etc., make sure that you have enough motor to push the car through the air!"

Great point Pete! I forgot to mention that the top speed of my Carrera is definitely down, or at least takes longer to achieve. In the past I had it near flat-out in 5th a few times - around 145. But it doesn't feel like it would pull that now with the additional drag; starts to loose steam @ 125 or so. However the trade-off is more than acceptable, as the car is so much better at all other speeds and I shouldn't be driving that fast anyway!

Quick Reply: Upgrade front spoiler when adding whale tail? Necessary?