Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Conditioning Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran freeze12 in my system all summer long, and no problems whatsoever. I see low 40 degree temps at my center vent in august here in TN
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Conversion to 134 should not cost more than $150. Evacuate the system of R12, refill with R134. Thats it. Do this first. Then start to see where your problem is, if there is one at all. This will offer you years of service. Don't do the hose/ expansion valve/compressor/dryer replacement. It is not needed at all in the conversion. These things will continue to work as intended regardless of freon type. Only the oil type is specific to the freon. Even that is a non issue now that oil compatible with any freon is available. (I like BG oil/dye charge). Anything else is a waste of time and money.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

Did the full Griffith's system....new hoses, compressor, evap, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, front and rear condenser, two additional condensers with fans in the left rear wheel well, center vent, and variable fan controller...great performance in Florida...29-35 out of the vents...completely satisifed...went the entire summer without sweating in my car...interior temps stabilized after about 10 minitues in the low to mid 70s on the 95+ degree, high humidity days and sub 70 degrees interior temps when low 90s or less. Ran $4500 parts and labor...had a Porsche mechanic at the Destin dealership install it (15 hours labor) who had 20+ years exp and had installed several of the Griffith's system. He along with an independent Porsche mech in Pensacola both said it was hands down the best AC system they had ever installed.

Also installed a BMW 99C temp switch in the right front oil cooler to have it come on earlier to aid in engine cooling and the Pelican Oil cooler scoop for the right front fender. No problems with overheating even in up to two hours of stop and go traffic with the AC on max.

I decided to do replace everything rather than piecemealing the fixes and being unsatisfied. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Great feedback guys.

I know I have to replace the compressor, so that requires receiver/dryer replacement. Since I don't know about leaks yet, but know the a/c worked when the compressor worked when it was charged, then I could just move on to to evacuating the system and refill with R134 or try freeze12, and see how things go from there.

If that doesn't work then I can go on to the full monty system swap.

What device or where do I get something to evacuate the system, or will I have to have someone do this for me. Any idea of cost of this? I heard the refill system for R134 is a inexpensive kit, but what is required to evacuate the system?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Did the full Griffith's system....new hoses, compressor, evap, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, front and rear condenser, two additional condensers with fans in the left rear wheel well, center vent, and variable fan controller...great performance in Florida...29-35 out of the vents...completely satisifed...went the entire summer without sweating in my car...interior temps stabilized after about 10 minitues in the low to mid 70s on the 95+ degree, high humidity days and sub 70 degrees interior temps when low 90s or less. Ran $4500 parts and labor...had a Porsche mechanic at the Destin dealership install it (15 hours labor) who had 20+ years exp and had installed several of the Griffith's system. He along with an independent Porsche mech in Pensacola both said it was hands down the best AC system they had ever installed.

Also installed a BMW 99C temp switch in the right front oil cooler to have it come on earlier to aid in engine cooling and the Pelican Oil cooler scoop for the right front fender. No problems with overheating even in up to two hours of stop and go traffic with the AC on max.

I decided to do replace everything rather than piecemealing the fixes and being unsatisfied. Good luck!
Sorry, with no recirculate mode 29-35F are not believable numbers, unless the OAT were itself conducive. Your evaporator cannot operate at or below freezing for very long without freezing up in the kind of humidity you often encounter in FL. In my experience the best you might see is 40F and that only with the blower speed set extremely low.

You probably need a new thermometer.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

I have used three different thermometers all indicating within 2 degrees of each other. I have found that turning the fan (variable fan controller) and temp down to about 60% or so works best as far as achieving the lowest temps. One problem I occasionally have is that my rear plastic window (cab) becomes hard to see out because of the condensation build up as well as part of the passenger window and part of the driver window.

The numbers are correct because after about 45 minutes in high humidity days, as you suggest, I do get condenser freezing and reduced air volume due to the evaporator freezing. I have to turn the temp switch to min cold and the fan to high for about 5 minutes to melt the ice indicated by increased blower volume and increased output temp to the 40s all while the interior stays nice and chilly. After that it is back to the normal settings and 29-35 out of the vents. I now have learned to set my temp selector to about 45% of max cold and that seems to keep it from freezing for well over an hour with interior temps in the high 60s/low 70s.

I would like to know if there is any way to modify the intake system to recirculate from the interior as you suggest that would keep the condenser from freezing in high humidity days. It is a minor pain to have to melt the ice occasionally (have to reach all the way down to the ***** and turn them!) but compared to the last few summers in south Florida and the panhandle sweating like crazy with insufficient cool air flow, it's a small price to pay.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbigham
Great feedback guys.

I know I have to replace the compressor, so that requires receiver/dryer replacement. Since I don't know about leaks yet, but know the a/c worked when the compressor worked when it was charged, then I could just move on to to evacuating the system and refill with R134 or try freeze12, and see how things go from there.

If that doesn't work then I can go on to the full monty system swap.

What device or where do I get something to evacuate the system, or will I have to have someone do this for me. Any idea of cost of this? I heard the refill system for R134 is a inexpensive kit, but what is required to evacuate the system?

SOME people I know (who shall go un-named) figure that since the system is compromised anyway, and there is no pressure in the system, there is no need to recover the old freon, so it's ok to just go ahead and skip the recovery step. In that case, you can buy a Robinaire vacuum pump, or go the El Cheapo route and buy an electrical 1.5 hp vacuum pump from Harbor Freight. Either way, buy new compressor oil. You can get it locally at Graingers, or you can order it via mail from any good supply house.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I have used three different thermometers all indicating within 2 degrees of each other. I have found that turning the fan (variable fan controller) and temp down to about 60% or so works best as far as achieving the lowest temps. One problem I occasionally have is that my rear plastic window (cab) becomes hard to see out because of the condensation build up as well as part of the passenger window and part of the driver window.

The numbers are correct because after about 45 minutes in high humidity days, as you suggest, I do get condenser freezing and reduced air volume due to the evaporator freezing. I have to turn the temp switch to min cold and the fan to high for about 5 minutes to melt the ice indicated by increased blower volume and increased output temp to the 40s all while the interior stays nice and chilly. After that it is back to the normal settings and 29-35 out of the vents. I now have learned to set my temp selector to about 45% of max cold and that seems to keep it from freezing for well over an hour with interior temps in the high 60s/low 70s.

I would like to know if there is any way to modify the intake system to recirculate from the interior as you suggest that would keep the condenser from freezing in high humidity days. It is a minor pain to have to melt the ice occasionally (have to reach all the way down to the ***** and turn them!) but compared to the last few summers in south Florida and the panhandle sweating like crazy with insufficient cool air flow, it's a small price to pay.
Most A/C temperature control systems of this era, certainly the 911's, used a rather simplistic system. Basically a capillary tube/bulb used to sense the temperture outflow directly at the outflow side of the evaporator. Oftentimes your freezing problem can be corrected by simply moving the tube end, or bulb, into closer proximaty to the evaporator cooling structure/vanes. I have even had instances wherein the sensing element had to be "buried", literally, deep within the evaporator core.

Probably the best procedure is to set the control to the coldest setting and then move the sensing element closer and closer to the evaporator surface until the compressor clutch circuit opens just a tad above the evaporator core reaching 34F.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 PM
jbandbj914
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's October! Roll the windows down and drive it like it was suppose to be driven. Worry about the AC repairs over the winter months.

1976 911S Targa...............No A/C
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

you do know that most auto parts stores rent special tools for cars, including a vacuum pump and manifold set. Its basically free, all you have to do is pay a deposit.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 PM
bobbigham
Pro

More good comments and information.

I believe I'm on the right track now. I have to replace the compressor for sure, it is slinging oil (going bad) and the system is down on R12 after leaking the last 2 years. I may replace the dryer/receiver when I do the compressor, just because it seems to be a very recommended thing to do and not a very expensive part. Then fill with R134 and try it out.

I have a few parts stores nearby and I will check to see if they rent the vacuum pumps. I really don't want to buy one just for this one project.

For sure this is the time of year I can enjoy the car, top off and not worry about the a/c, but I will get it working...I don't like it when something doesn't work...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 AM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Shoot me an email if you need help & advice at mthomas58@comcast.net. I have the vacuum pump pictured above and can help you with flushing, evac and charging with 134a. I've done quite a bit of A/C work on my car. Check out my posts on Pelican under mthomas58. I'm next door to you in Roswell.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-tomorrow.html

Mark

Last edited by mthomas44; 10-15-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC, Mark you bought a suction pump and did a comprehensive flush. That was a very nice thread, and good work. JFairman is knowledgeable about AC work on these older Porsches as well.

Ha, I just re-read the first page of that thread. Mark, I think you convinced me to buy the Robinaire pump. It is worth every penny, and I'm glad that I did!

My own $.02 is that you'd be a goldmine of info and help on the 134a conversion.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rusnak
IIRC, Mark you bought a suction pump and did a comprehensive flush. That was a very nice thread, and good work. JFairman is knowledgeable about AC work on these older Porsches as well.

Ha, I just re-read the first page of that thread. Mark, I think you convinced me to buy the Robinaire pump. It is worth every penny, and I'm glad that I did!

My own $.02 is that you'd be a goldmine of info and help on the 134a conversion.
And I think JFairman convinced me to buy my pump.

Great investment....I've used is several time for myself, Porsche friends and neighbors.

Getting the A/C working properly and completing several performance upgrades are among the most satisfying projects I've done.

Last edited by mthomas44; 10-16-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Thanks for all of the information.

After referring to the in-depth posts by Mark on the whole hog project on Pelican, I'm a little concerned with this....I'm hoping it isn't over my head. That was a great thread. You couldn't ask for more pictures and expert information. So many details...

Mark I appreciate the offer on the pump and will contact you when I know I will have the compressor replaced, receiver/ dryer installed and ready to evacuate and charge.

Hopefully we will have a few more warm spells over the next few weeks.

Many thanks again.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Upgrade