Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition Wire Replacement Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Wire Replacement Recommendation?

I've been sorting through my new to me 1986 Targa over the last month and I've noticed some really bad cracking on the robber covering of the ignition wires. I want to replace them and after looking on the internet I've noticed there are a million options and varied prices. Does anyone have a recommendation for a set of wires? This isn't a race machine but rather a weekend fun car. Money really isn't a big issue, just a good set that will perform well and last me a while.

Thanks in advance,

Emery
Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock Beru wires will serve you well. I have no experience with aftermarket ones, so no comment from me on them.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many on this forum have or are using Magnecore. I use the 8.5 mm red ones on my 88 Carrera.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

We use, recommend and sell the Magnecor 8.5mm ones. IMHO, these outlast everything else I've tried over the past 30 years,...
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Steve, I'll call the store tomorrow and order a set.

Regards,

Emery
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Slimwear
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Steve, I'll call the store tomorrow and order a set.

Regards,

Emery
I have them on the shelf if you need any.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:43 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnecore 8.5 has been a great wire in ride for many years

Berus are a problem waiting to happen imho

my new Magnecores were a very tight fit to the Bosch dizzy cap so I "broke them in" on an old cap and a hair dryer

otherwise it's a wire I have confidence in under extreme conditions and salt air
Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I'm somewhat puzzled by the Beru waiting to happen comment. Can you elaborate?

I have been running basically stock wires since the '80s and have literally hundreds of thousands of miles on them. A set lasts probably a few hundred thousand miles of driving, valve adjustments, etc. I basically stayed away from the thicker wires due to my preference of using the ignition wire holders to prevent wire chafing and vibration. I have to admit I have not thought much about ignition wires until this thread was posted though.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
RL Technical Advisor

The problem with Beru (and Bosch) wires is not the wires, per se,.........

The issue is the poor longevity of the plug connectors. These all contain an RFI-suppression internal resistor thats well-known for becoming intermittent and/or outright failure. These have been problematic since 1969 but up until several years ago, the Beru connectors were cheap enough to replace them as needed.

Magnecor wires have no such resistors and instead, use spiral-wound wire for RFI/EMI suppression. Further, the 8.5mm race wires have thicker silicon jackets which are FAR more heat resistant; not a trivial issue with air-cooled engines.

Its a one-time-investment.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve. Now if only they made O2 sensors and universal 3-wire kits, that would be something. The dollar/dm exchange rate will kill us and has only gotten worse. Maybe you could invent an O2 replacement wire kit (to go with the universal 3 wire O2 sensors)?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by rusnak
Thanks Steve. Now if only they made O2 sensors and universal 3-wire kits, that would be something. The dollar/dm exchange rate will kill us and has only gotten worse. Maybe you could invent an O2 replacement wire kit (to go with the universal 3 wire O2 sensors)?
Yessir,.. you are right about the exchange rates although they are FAR better than last year when the Euro was over $1.64 to the USD.

I stopped becoming stressed about it since in my experience, its been a normal variable and one that I cannot control.

The only reason why I've not addressed a wiring adapter for the 3-wire Universal oxysensors are issues with reliability. Oxysensors generate VERY tiny voltages and adding more connectors runs counterintuitive to ensuring everything works properly during the life of these components. Voltage drops of any kind are to be abhorred so adding more points of resistance (and possible corrosion/oxidation) isn't a good practice,.....

All in all, these things last long enough that the cost, amortized over several years, isn't as bad as it appears.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have put the Magnacore wires on bunches of applications and they are FAR supirior as Steve points out.

Steve, on the O2 sensors, its a great thing to keep these systems working like they should. There was a prevailing habit of some who would just suggest unpluging them for drivability problems. It's about as easy to diagnose and remedy the real problem as it is to cover it up. The tighning environmental rules make it a good idea as well. I remember BMW sending out some TSBs on O2 sensors regarding the ground circuit. The older sensors would be grounded thru the exhaust and that caused problems. A ground wire to the cat was reccomended. It helped with "lazy" sensors. Furthermore the absolut worst thing for an O2 sensor is Silicon. It will pass right thru combustion and kill a sensor in an instant. So for those who spray silicon or use paste on intake boots and seals are taking a risk. Thought I might share some of my experiance. This all may be very well known by the posters here, so disregard if I seem to be rambling.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by whalebird
Steve, on the O2 sensors, its a great thing to keep these systems working like they should. There was a prevailing habit of some who would just suggest unpluging them for drivability problems. It's about as easy to diagnose and remedy the real problem as it is to cover it up. The tighning environmental rules make it a good idea as well. I remember BMW sending out some TSBs on O2 sensors regarding the ground circuit. The older sensors would be grounded thru the exhaust and that caused problems. A ground wire to the cat was reccomended. It helped with "lazy" sensors. Furthermore the absolut worst thing for an O2 sensor is Silicon. It will pass right thru combustion and kill a sensor in an instant. So for those who spray silicon or use paste on intake boots and seals are taking a risk. Thought I might share some of my experiance. This all may be very well known by the posters here, so disregard if I seem to be rambling.
Stellar advice,......
Old 10-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 109 Posts

Hi Steve, is a Magnecor 8.5 set available for the 993?

Let me know!

Matt
Old 10-17-2009, 08:01 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Steve, is a Magnecor 8.5 set available for the 993?

Let me know!

Matt
Hi Matt,

Currently, Magnecor doesn't offer a wiring harness for the 993. They told me it was due to a lack of an appropriate connector for these engines and they didn't wish to make a custom one for these application due to the expense.

We simply use the Beru ones and replace them every 30K.

Quick Reply: Ignition Wire Replacement Recommendation?