Rebuilding 80 3.0L need advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Dave Mitchell
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding 80 3.0L need advise

Hi,

I have been twisting wrenches for 30+ years and now I'm going to rebuild my first Porsche 911 motor. The motor is for a Intermeccanica reproduction speedster much like the one written about in Excellence Sept 2003. I have done a lot of reading and there are thousands of possibilities. Obliviously I don't need 450HP in a 2200 pound car, well I guess I could but that is not what I'm after. What I am after is a motor that is as drivable as my 86 Carrera and as trouble free but I want carbs because I want that look in my 'hot rod". I have heard and read a lot about the "Short Stroke 3.2L" and the "High Performance 3.0L" in Wayne Dempsey's book. Which would give me the better low end torque and milder manners for a great street ride? Or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.intermeccanica.com/site_a...EXCELLENCE.pdf
Old 09-26-2009, 01:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Like most things it comes down to budget ... we had a thread recently that talked about the short stroke 3.2 and the 98mm cylinders , and you are into some mucho dollars .. do a search on PMO's as we also talked about that recently and it seams to be a well liked mod for those who have done it . They also talk about the HP output of these modded systems to .
Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Dave Mitchell
6th Gear

Default I searched and found little.....

If you could point me to the thread you mentioned would be helpful. I searched short stroke 3.2 and got a couple of things but most were from a long time ago.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:37 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Dave, my stock 3.0L motor with PMO carb's and headers makes 240 hp. That should be plenty to motivate a 2200 lbs car and much cheaper to build than some of the motors you mentioned.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Dave Mitchell
6th Gear

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Dave, my stock 3.0L motor with PMO carb's and headers makes 240 hp. That should be plenty to motivate a 2200 lbs car and much cheaper to build than some of the motors you mentioned.
Please tell me more. What heads did you use, what size PMO's, which cams, compresion ratio, pistions? Do you run the car on the street or track only?

What makes the short stroke 3.2 so costly? Is the case bore for the bottom of the cylinders different? J&E makes a 9.5 98mm 127.8 stroke piston.

I have been doing a lot of reading and maybe that is my downfall. Too many choices and I want to get it close to right the first time.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2009, 04:02 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it's more commonly referred to as a 3.2SS, so try searching that term and you'll likely get a lot more results.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mitchell
Please tell me more. What heads did you use, what size PMO's, which cams, compresion ratio, pistions? Do you run the car on the street or track only?

What makes the short stroke 3.2 so costly? Is the case bore for the bottom of the cylinders different? J&E makes a 9.5 98mm 127.8 stroke piston.

I have been doing a lot of reading and maybe that is my downfall. Too many choices and I want to get it close to right the first time.

Thanks
Dave,

I'll defer to Eric tell you about his motor,...

JMHO, but you need to decide about what kind of longevity you expect from your engine project and outline a realistic budget to accomplish that objective. JE pistons do NOT last anywhere near as long as Mahle but the latter ones are much more expensive. You get what you pay for,...

The case does not require machining to accept the 98mm P/C's.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 09-28-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:57 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I've spent many an evening talking with Steve Weiner about how to go faster! I dial his number when I feel the need for speed! LOL!

My motor is so boring. It is has 46mm PMO carbs and European Racing headers. The cams are OEM SC, the pistons are OEM SC, and the exhaust consists of Phase 9 mufflers on European Racing headers. It makes good power to 7200 rpm on the engine dyno. My care weighs under 2200 lbs dry. The motor is very responsive and can be driven on the street. The combination will snap your head back!
Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 AM
Dave Mitchell
6th Gear

Default Please help the rookie........

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I've spent many an evening talking with Steve Weiner about how to go faster! I dial his number when I feel the need for speed! LOL!

My motor is so boring. It is has 46mm PMO carbs and European Racing headers. The cams are OEM SC, the pistons are OEM SC, and the exhaust consists of Phase 9 mufflers on European Racing headers. It makes good power to 7200 rpm on the engine dyno. My care weighs under 2200 lbs dry. The motor is very responsive and can be driven on the street. The combination will snap your head back!

Eric,

I would like to talk to you about what you did. Answering Steve's question I want long life and trouble free. I have limited budget 5K to 7K and I want to spend it where it will give the most "bang" for my buck but I don't want to compromise anything. I completly tore down the motor and than 7 broken head studs I could find nothing wrong with anything. I can really believe the motor only had 115K on it as the speedometer shows. My starting point is a 1980 SC motor so the heads need some porting work or I could find a set of the 3.2 heads.

Eric you say you are using the OEM SC cams and OEM SC pistions. If that is the case then the original Mahle Nikasil ones I have are in perfect shape and can be ringed. The original SC cams are fine. So my budget can go for what it really need to go for which I guess is all in the heads, exhaust and PMO's. It sounds right up my alley with my starting point.

Here is what I was thinking. Build the lower end stock with fresh bearings. I want to run Weber's or PMO's not the stock CIS. I want to go with SSI type heat exchangers with a sport type muffler. I do not want to go too crazy with high compression and do not want to go twin plug.

Steve what I'm trying to do is build a 100K before I think about it kind of motor. Sure I'll have to tinker with the tuning of the carbs from time to time but that can be fun.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Eric would you mind a call from me? tindian@surewest.net

Last edited by Dave Mitchell; 09-27-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 80 3.0L need advise