Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch Clunk when engaging clutch, cable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 11:18 PM
88 911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch Clunk when engaging clutch, cable?

Friends, when I release the clutch I get a slight clunk sound just before I completely release the pedal. Except for this, the clutch appears fine..aka no slipping, chattering e.t.c. From what I read I think it could be the clutch cable/spring? Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

F
Old 12-05-2001, 11:53 PM
Terry Lefco
Track Day

I believe the 1988s all came with the hydraulic clutch, so it shouldn't be a cable.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:55 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

F,
NO 1 YOU DON,T HAVE CLUTCH CABLES, YOU HAVE A
HYDRAULIC ACTUATED CLUTCH! DO YOU KNOW IF THE
PORSCHE RECOMMENDED CLUTCH UPGRADE HAS BEEN
DONE? ITS INVOLVES REPLACEING THE CROSS THROW
OUT SHAFT BUSHINGS. HOW MANY MILES DOES YOUR CAR HAVE ON IT? I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF MY 87 HAS EVER HAD THE CLUTCH DONE ON IT, AND
MINE HAS 78K MI. THE 87,88,89 HAVE A RUBBER CENTERED CLUTCH THAT I HAVE HEARD IS NOT AS BAD AS EARLIER 911s BUT STILL WILL SEPARATE
AND PREVENT THE CLUTCH FROM OPERATING. THE THUNK YOU FEEL COULD BE THE RUBBER CENTER
HAS CRACKED AND STARTING TO SEPARATE. BEING
HONEST WITH YOURSELF HAVE YOU HAMMERED THE CLUTCH VERY MUCH? JUST MY THOUGHTS, AND ONLY
MY HOPE FOR THE BEST. PLEASE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE CARRERA OWNERS CHIME IN FOR MY
PEACE OF MIND TOO.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
KEITH
Old 12-06-2001, 10:14 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my car. At the very top of the pedal release, a slight clunk would occur. Here's my theory. I think it is the clutch slave cylinder rod sticking in the release fork socket and popping out just as the clutch is fully engaged. A little long life EP grease would help this situation. I'm no expert, just a theory.

I replaced the clutch assy., T/O bearing, release fork, the slave cylinder and updated the fork support shaft last winter. The problem went away, but I obviously did not prove my theory correct. If i'd tended to just the slave cyl./release fork area, we'd know if i'm in the right ballpark.

My original rubber disc had 62K mi. on it when replaced and it shows no signs of deterioration. The rubber center on these G50/Turbo discs is quite hefty so I don't think they would be quite as prone to failure as the earlier SC rubber-centered discs. Just my opinion. I opted for the 76,77 Turbo spring-center disc since the rubber-centered units get such a bad rap (and it's lighter).

Here's my understanding of the clutch release shaft update. The original bearings get dried up from age/contamination and thus a loss of grease/lubrication. This makes the clutch pedal difficult to depress (more effort required). The updated setup is supposed to improve on the lubrication issue with different bearings for the shaft and the fork along with some rubber ring seals for the shaft bearings.

Hope that helps some.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Adrian de Silva
Track Day

Based on my experience with my '87 Carrera, another way to check if the 'thunk' is related to the rubber centered clutch is to accelerate and decelerate with the car in gear. You will hear a 'thunk' each time if the rubber has completely separated. What you hear is the mechanical limits which keeps the tranny connected to the motor when the hub completely separates.

Good luck,

Adrian d.
'87 Carrera Coupe

Quick Reply: Clutch Clunk when engaging clutch, cable?