Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

LSD Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 09:35 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Post LSD Question.

I have a 915 tranny that came with my 914. It has never been in the car. I was told it was rebuilt by Velios but wasn't given any specs. How can I tell if it has an LSD or not? Friends have said to try turning one side and holding the other solid. If they both want to turn to same way you have an LSD. But I thought that if it was a clutch style of LSD it would need a lot more to engage the LSD. So is there a test I can do without opening the case?
Old 10-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by SoloRacer:
<strong>I have a 915 tranny that came with my 914. It has never been in the car. I was told it was rebuilt by Velios but wasn't given any specs. How can I tell if it has an LSD or not? Friends have said to try turning one side and holding the other solid. If they both want to turn to same way you have an LSD. But I thought that if it was a clutch style of LSD it would need a lot more to engage the LSD. So is there a test I can do without opening the case?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi:

Thank God, an easy question,....

Very simple,....grab one CV flange and rotate it. If the other side rotates the same direction, you have an LSD. If they rotate in opposite directions, you have an open differential.

Determining the locking factor and how worn it is requires a homemade fixture and a torque wrench to measure the breakaway torque of the clutch packs.

Quick Reply: LSD Question.