Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"Fewx"
Old 12-07-2001, 04:37 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I apologize for leading anybody in the wrong direction, I merely meant that I think (personally) that they look better than the OEM fuchs, I am well aware that they probably wouldn't suffice for track use. The original question on the thread was " where can I get replica fuchs" I think performance makes a decent replica! As far as looks go I think thay are better, as far as performance goes definately not.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:07 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Fuch is actually written Fuchs and a Fuchs is a Fox thats the little .Symbol in the circle.

I thin **** would sound close to the original german. If you browse the Pelican 911 archive you will find two long threads about that.

The Fuchs wheel where inventet some 35 years ago and is still up tp date but nowerdeays same quality can be achived with other lower costs and the major problem from the Fuchs production process was that the tooling only alowed the known sizes. There is just no heavier Press worldwide to expand the size to bigger rims and if they make a new Superpress the costs will never come back for a limitet production car.

Also the Fuchs rim designs forced Porsche to use a other technoligical seen weak link; the spacers.

So from my view I wouldn´t invest in fake Fuchs and also from the buck for the money skip the geninue Fuchs ( except the tree piece version from Compomotive ) and go for newer BBS, Momo, Speedline, Kinesis or Fikse.

From the technical point of view the Mahle Magnesium had outperformed the Fuchs rims but Mahle outsourced the Rim technology ( Now known as BBS ) and went to real expensive rims used on racecars so Porsche had to stick with the Fuchses untill the ATS came in the 73 MY ( originaly developed as Standard rim for the new 911 2,7 SC thats a other story ).

Yet the Fuchs rim called Flügelscheibenrad at Porsche became the synonym for a 911 and People always ordered them and would still today order them as well.

I know a guy who put his original AC Cobra on Fuchs rims in the mid 70´s as he liked the look and the technical benefit over the original rims.
( It also helps handling on the racetracks, the guy was a friend/sponsor from Jochen Rindt ).

Some car manufactorers used a slight similar design for there sporty models ( like the Opel GS or Ford Gt´s ) and a company named Heylo made a hubcab in that design.

Früsse

Quick Reply: To Fuch or Not to Fuch ?