Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Value of a 1974 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value of a 1974 911

Hi...This is my first time posting in the 911 forum and I need some advice.

I lost my closest friend in the world back in April. He and I love Porsches - It was what originally brought us together as friends years ago. He has/had 5 P-cars that are all in various states of driveability.

My friend (his name was Evan) had a 1974 911 that I am in the process of getting ready to sell for his Estate. He bought the car a couple of years ago with the intention of using it as his track car. The prior owner spent a great deal of money restoring the car to be a "Ruf Yellow-Bird" look-a-like (body-wise). Evan bought the car when the prior owner was going through a nasty divorce and didnt have the resources to finish the car. The car was about 90% complete when my friend bought it and needed that extra 10% to finish it up.

When Evan bought the 911, he sent it over to TRE Performance in Reseda - he and I have used TRE for years and consider them the best of the best when it comes to Porsche. They are more like friends than people we entrust our cars to and they have never steered us wrong.

TRE performed a variety of things to the 911 to help finish it up. Evan performed some of the additional work as well (interior and other small items) and was able to track the car at Willow once some of the work was done. The car is still a work-in-progress and needs a little more TLC to be perfect.

This is a great car for someone looking for a track car with 95% of the work done. All the major stuff has been gone through and worked out. There are some small things that still need to be done. Below is a list of features that the car has....This is where you guys come in. I need to get opinions on pricing and where I should advertise this car at. Being that it's a very particular car that needs a very particular home, I obviously cannot place a simple ad in Autotrader and hope to get fair market value for it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1974 Porsche 911
Mexico/Riviera Blue

Ruf Yellowbird Bodywork
Ruf Fiberglass bumpers
Aero Mirrors
7/8 x 16 Fuchs
Toyo RA-1 Tires

Recaro SPG seats
Schroth Harnesses
Rollbar
RS America Door Panels
Custom Flat Aluminum Dash
Many new window seals

Large Oil Pressure Warning Light in place of the clock
Elephant Racing front upper monoballs - (they are noisy and need replacement)
Weltmiester swaybars - front and rear
993 Brake Cooling ducts
Wevo Rear sway bar mounts
Porterfield brake pads

2.7 Liter Engine with Webers
MSD Ignition
SSI heat exchangers

I dont have many pictures - I'm planning on taking some comprehensive photos this coming week...however, attached is a pic of the car with my friend back on January 1st, 2009 - at the TRE New Years Day run.

Thanks so much for all the help...even though I have a 993, I once had (and still miss terribly) a 1989 911 Cab...and I still get whiplash checking out 911's every time I see one drive by!

Sincerely,

Damien Lewis
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

What does the car still need? That is important too.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed...I appreciate that.

It needs the following:

Monoball replacement
One of the windows doesnt shut
Some minor interior work - ie: the headlight switch needs to be mounted and possibly an RS carpet kit as it has no carpet right now..

Other than that..it's ready to roll.

Thanks!

Damien
Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Still need some help with this guys...Thanks!

Damien
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Considering this is about the worst time ever to be selling a car and it is a 2.7 to boot you are in for a tough time . Sounds like things have been done right .. you need to get the story out ... Yo can always list it on ebay ... even if you don't sell it you will get lots of advertising out of it and you will get to do a big write up on it.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't preped to the level of your friends car but, I came accross it last night and thought I'd through it out there...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1363212082.html

no affiliation

Gary
Old 09-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Damien
Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, they didn't make a 911SC until 1978. Whoever advertised the 74 911SC on craigslist isn't very well informed. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the classified ads here and on pelicanparts...for starters. You may also want to post a link to your classified ad in the "Racing and Drivers Education" Forum here on rennlist. Craigslist can't hurt either.

Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Value of a 1974 911