Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another shifting ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 03:45 PM
FRQTFLR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another shifting ?

Thank you Steve for your suggestion about the shift ****, it worked. I simply twisted the **** down onto the lever although it gets VERY tight as it moves down and today my hands are killing me from grabbing and twisting. I ended up cutting about 3/8" off the top with a cutoff wheel in order for the **** to sit up against the extra sleeve.

I do have another question though, when I shift into 5th the shift lever does not go far enough forward to allow the spring clip (preventing reverse) to engage so if I pull straight back it will "crash" into reverse. I am wondering if I losen the clamp ring just forward of the shift coupler, can I shorten the shaft a bit which would allow the lever to travel further foward? I don't want to mess with it if it doesn't as the car shifts great otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 02-10-2002, 05:37 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did this too. The fix is to losen the bolt on the shift coupler, and push the shifter forward slightly. Be very carefull not to let either the shift rod or the coupler rotate, or you will need to adjust it all over again. Ask me how I know this

I think if I had to do over again, I would put the car if 5th gear before loosening the coupler. All you would need to do is barely loosen it, and gently push the shifter foreward until the reverse lockout engages.

If you screw up like I did, there is a good Pelican Parts tech article on adjusting the shift linkage here:
<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_shifting_improvements/911_shifting_improvements.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_shifting_improvements/911_shifting_improvements.htm</a>

Tom
Old 02-14-2002, 02:49 AM
FRQTFLR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for your reply. It went just as you had advised. Put shift lever in 5th, loosened the clamp nut, pushed shift lever forward a little, and retightened it. I also twisted it a little because the shift coupler was tight in 5th gear. It shifts like a dream, well for a 915 anyway.

I am also getting ready to change the tranny fluid and someone beat me to the post. Thank you Steve W. for the post regarding fluid recommendation. Gotta love this list!

Quick Reply: Another shifting ?