Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much can I get for this 1989 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002 | 07:18 PM
JDR944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How much can I get for this 1989 3.2

Hello, my father is making the move from his 1989 911 to a 993 and we are starting to sell the 3.2. I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight as to how much we can realistically get for it. The market report in Excellence and the kelley blue book values haven't applied during any of the car purchases I've been involved with in the past so I am somewhat skeptical seeing those numbers. Here are the details on the car:
-1989 911 Carrera 3.2
-Black-Black
-135,000 miles
-exterior is a 7.5 out of 10....the paint is very smooth and reflective everywhere but there are two small rust spots(one on the hood, one right by it).
-interior is a 9.5 out of 10. definitely one of the better interiors in any car I've seen of this vintage. The dash is perfect, the leather seats are perfect, etc...
-synchros are fine...you can downshift into first easily, engine runs strong, mechanically it seems very strong.
-AC doesn't cool very well
-car has aftermarket 16inch rims (previous owner put them on), they are good looking rims made by dpracing I think(the car is back at home so I can't check right now).
well..that's about all I can think about right now....we don't mind taking the expense of properly fixing the two rust spots but we would only do it if we would get our money back in the sale price. (ie. if we have an offer for x with the rust and for x+500 without the rust then the ~$2000 cost of fixing the rust isn't worth it). I know the presence of the rust spots makes it a lot harder to sell the car (even though they're not too noticeable) so doing this might be necessary.
Thanks and sorry this was a bit long.
Juan
Old 12-19-2002 | 09:44 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coupe, Targa or Cab? Is it a one-owner w/ all records? What is the cause of the rust (have you examined under the windshield gasket near the bottom of the A- pillars?)? Any accident history? What about Engine work? Shocks? Clutch? Brakes? Options? Are you in a hurry?

Anyway, it might go for up to $23K, or it could be as low as $15-18K. As we always said in the car biz, It Depends...
Sounds like a car that should go to a Good Home - Best of Luck.
Old 12-19-2002 | 10:17 PM
JDR944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your prompt response. The car is a coupe, I believe we are the third owners. No accidents. We have kept meticulous records and so did the first owner but the one in between only kept records of big expenses. As for the clutch and brakes, as far as I know they are all fine and shouldn't be in need of changing for some time. I personally haven't examined the rust as my knowledge of bodywork and paint is very limited but we got an estimate to take care of it properly for about 2000 from a very trustworthy and competent body shop. The only option that comes to mind right now is cruise control but I don't see the car that often so there could be more. I guess we'll have to see how this story plays out. I wish we could keep the car(it sure is a blast to drive) but my mom has decided that 8 cars for a family of 5 is quite enough (what is SHE thinking?).

Juan

Quick Reply: How much can I get for this 1989 3.2