Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pedal Cluster Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 12:00 PM
carrera1974
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pedal Cluster Help Needed

So, I recently pulled out the pedal cluster from my 1974 911. One of the studs that sticks up from the floor pan that secures the rear of the pedal box was actually rusted in half...seems kind of odd since there is really no rust at all in the floor pan, but anyway, that's the issue. The two studs that secure the rear of the pedal box seem to be part of a metal plate that underlies the floor pan. This metal plate also has the two nuts for the bolts that secure the bottom of the gas pedal. Are these studs replaceable, or is the metal plate with the two studs and two nuts replaceable? Is this plate welded to the floor pan? I'm reluctant to remove the body schutz just to see what's there, if not necessary. I ask about this because I can't find a part number for this plate when I look at my parts microfiche. I can fab something if necessary, but would like to use an oem or aftermarket part or solution if anything exists. Any experience with, or thoughts about, this are really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:19 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See next post...I got a little trigger happy.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:29 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche welded in hreaded standoffs right into the body, and doubled up ont he metal in these areas. I seen these rusted studs shear right off on several older 911's I have owned when trying to remove the cluster.

I chose to drill out the remaining stud and bring a bolt and washer up from the underside with the same diameter and pitch as the stud, and adding a dab of silicone calking between the body and the washer, and keep going.

Granted, it isn't as elegant as a beautifully welded stud replacement, but its a lot easier if your welding skills are not expert.

In your case, on a 74 Carrera, which is somewhat collectable if kept very original, I might consider using a good welder to fix.

I have also attached a link from Pelican Parts Tech that outlines the cluster R&R in great detail.

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mult_pedal_cluster/Mult_pedal_cluster.htm" target="_blank">Pelican Parts Pedal Cluster Rebuild Tech Article</a>
Old 10-18-2002, 09:33 AM
carrera1974
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, JLK! I ended up grinding off the head of the stud and removed the remnant of the rusted stud. For the replacement I got a stainless M8 x 20 buttonhead bolt from Fastenal...the head shape approximates what was there and will be virtually indistinguishable from original. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Quick Reply: Pedal Cluster Help Needed