Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82 sc cis problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 AM
fzr1k
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 sc cis problems

i have an 82 sc 3.0 coupe with 65k on it just purchased 1 month ago. when i got the car it ran great. the first time out i was driving the car about i hour when it started to cut out and buck the smoke came in the cabin so i popped the engine cover and FIRE! i put the fire out but it burned my right cam tower oil line so i changed it. the car ran fine again. by the way the heater hose is what burned and yes it is possible. so the car is running fine i drive it about an hour or so stop at a parts store get back in a 1/4 mile up the road buck snort cough and then shutdown so i try to restart and it sputters but thats it and then nada. now i have no spark so i buy msd 6al and blaster 8202 coil and a pickup coil now i have spark i also built new wires using taylor thundervolt 8.2 wires with the stock plug boots the car ran fine i started to drive it started to cut out again this in a short distance and ever since it cuts out all the time. i drain the tank it looks grat inside as does the strainer. i checked the fuel pressure it is 60 psi 65 is spec but i dont think 5 psi would make that much of a difference. i havent checked volume yet. im goin nuts please help
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I see you posted the exact same post word for word on pelican .. ,my as well just watch what happens over their.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM
fzr1k
AutoX

i tried every thing those guys said but no go lots of helpful stuff to try though
Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

yeah I was watching .... it is tough to tell what is going on for sure .. I think your desciption needs work ..
you said it ran great but died on your first trip .. "?

burned your right cam tower oil line ? do you mean your tensioner line ? did it burn right through and had no tensioner pressure ?
your heater hose caught fire ? did you have the aluminized cardboard one ? I doubt that would catch fire. Do you have any pics of the damage or of your engine bay .....

I know noting about MSD . sorry ...
home built wires ? sorry can't comment
Did you verify what was and was not working on your car or did you throw in all the ignition parts at once ?
Did you verify your timing with a timing light including your advance when you hit the gas ?

After the engine dies do you check for spark again to make sure you still have it or are you assuming you have spark all the time now since you changed the parts ?

Since you have an intermitent problem , don't assume because you check something once and it works , that , this is not the culprit.
have you tried swapping the fuel relay ? just swap the red relay with any other one for testing.

Was everything fine until the fire ? ( well for an hour anyway ) .
have you talked to the previous owner to see if he can shed any light. ?

how long does it go before cutting out. ?

A lot of the diagnosis rest in the "interview" and a very detailed explanation of your problem and troubleshooting methods.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with some of this
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM
fzr1k
AutoX

i found a tread on this forum about the o2 sensor relay and sure enough mine was cooked. now i only have stumble just off idle right in the cruise along at speed area all of the time also a stutter during acceleration but its not rithmic it does it at random.my cdi was bad i changed the pick up coil because it was questionable the msd takes the place of the cdi and the coil is just the one msd recomends u use.it was an aluminized cardboard hose that caught fire. my car still has the stock tensioners though the carerra ones are on the list. the line that burnt was the feed line for the passenger side camshaft under the a/c compressor. i dont lose fuel or spark anymore it is just a drivability problem now. cams are timed right or it would be a miss with rythum. im going to test my o2 sensor next. the previous owner was a 70 year old doctor with little to no mechanical experiance and he owned the car since 1986 and bought it with 6k on it never drove it in the rain or snow and always stored it in a heated garage but he would be no help as he always had it serviced at the dealer.

Quick Reply: 82 sc cis problems