Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

to clean injectors or not to clean injectors, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to clean injectors or not to clean injectors, that is the question

Is there any disadvantage or risk in using a fuel injector cleaner?

I'm headed to the track next weekend (WOO HOO!) and I don't want to do anything that might adversely affect performance. I've never used injector cleaner in the 911.

Any reason not to?? If I mess it up and can't run at MidOhio next weekend with my brand new tires and my brand new HANS, then (insert threat of insane racerchick doing various unsound things on top of the observation tower)

Should I not be able to resist my instinctive urge to do anything and everything that might improve my laptime by 0.002 seconds, thereby achieving a whole new level of pee-my-pants excitement with each lap, and maybe just maybe beating my friend in his 964 C4 because I always seem to be passed by C4s and I really hate that even more than a turbo getting around me.... it seems the consensus is use Techron or Stabil. Agreed?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've used Techron during track weekends with no problems. In fact, my engine was superbly clean when I ripped it apart. The only thing is you'll want to change your oil afterward. I've heard reports that it can accumulate in the case and sump, and I've heard reports to the contrary. So, I always played it safe and changed the oil after using.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

As in change the oil before I run at the track? I wouldn't be able to use a tank of gas before then.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No, afterward. Run the cleaner through at the track and then use up the tank of fuel. Change the oil at some point shortly thereafter. It's not do-or-die, and may not even be an issue. But, again, I erred on the side of caution.

This is based on the assumption that not all of the cleaner burns off and possibly works past the rings and ends up in the oil. I've heard over the years that this happens-I can't swear to it.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

OK - so as I understand it, I need to
1) drive to near empty
2) add Techron
3) fill up
4) run half way down
5) fill up and run tank to near empty

Does that sound right? It's gonna be a little tricky to do exactly that at the track, but not impossible.
So, Ed, do you see any reason not to do this as a first-ever cleaning just before I take it on the track?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

What we have here is a failure to communicate.....

Just add the Techron in the highest recommended concentration to a full tank. Go out and drive the hell out of the car at the track. Re-fill your gas tank if needed, wouldn't be cool to run out at a DE. After the weekend is up and you've run through the gas, or it is pretty much back to straight gasoline with minimal amounts of Techron present, change your oil.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedracer, it is highly likely you are already running Techron or Techroline or a deriviative in the premium fuel you are buying. Unless that engine is missing, I wouldn't mess with it. Like I have said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Find fuel with the additive package already in it. Chevron and Shell come to mind, but there are probably others.

Now, about those C4s...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

We use premium gas in my mom's 84 VW. A week ago, we ran injector cleaner through it and it's like a new car. It used to surge at idle and threaten to stall at take off. The cleaner fixed that.

My car doesn't miss, but it does have rough idle. It doesn't surge, but vibrates. It could be the open airbox, cat bypass, new O2 sensor, or bad a/c compressor... could be many things other than injectors of course.

Yeah - I know you C4 drivers think you know everything and your cars have unnatural abilities and super powers and at Dakar it slayed the dragon but at MidOhio you're gonna eat RWD dust, dude!!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I noticed an improvement after running Techron through the system at a DE or 2 when I first got the car. It probably made up for previous owners' sins. Driving hard for a weekend with the concentrate in the tank does an engine good. Kind of like pressure washing.

I've not done it in some time (years), as the fuel system gets a workout every time Ruby gets driven, these days.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Techron is good stuff. I like something called "44K" made by BG. To me, this is the best out there. I've tried Seafoam too, but it's messy and smokes a lot. Add to a full 20 gal tank.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I bought the Techron and it's still sitting unopened. I keep wondering if I might actually cause a blockage in an injector and then miss my track event.

I guess I just need to wait until I return from the track. But, I keep thinking I should do it before so I have the best performance possible.

Is there a name for my DE Paranoia?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Since you already bought the Techron, you should open it at the gas station. Pour it into a partial tank, then fill the tank with gas before driving off. It won't cause a blockage.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Techron cleans the injectors, not plugs them up.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Ok... I am convinced. I'll do it on the way to the track. I won't have an opportunity to run out the tank before then.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I'm confused. You don't need to run out the tank. I'd go ahead and put the Techron in now, then top the tank up. You just don't want to run fuel system cleaner, any brand, with less than a full tank.

Quick Reply: to clean injectors or not to clean injectors, that is the question