Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

For Sale: 1986 Carrera Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ouch! The car could still be a great buy, but you'd want to focus on the accident damage and repair. A best case would be that a fender was crinkled. It gets bad fast when these cars are hit on the bumper, or if the door hinge post or suspension is moved in a side impact. There is some flex in the rear, but in the front, forget it.

The wheels look like 6" in front. Could be 7" in the rear given the 225 tires.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 PM
dumdik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
ouch! The car could still be a great buy, but you'd want to focus on the accident damage and repair. A best case would be that a fender was crinkled. It gets bad fast when these cars are hit on the bumper, or if the door hinge post or suspension is moved in a side impact. There is some flex in the rear, but in the front, forget it.

The wheels look like 6" in front. Could be 7" in the rear given the 225 tires.
the car is junk you probably don't want it. It was probably a light rollover with all the windows blown out. Or two cars welded together. Save up about 7 more grand or 8 or 10 or so and buy a nice one. This one here is definitly not worth the money.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
dumdik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blkshp6
The option list tag may not be there if the front deck lid was replaced or had majot repair work done due to an accident. How do you know it has never been wrecked?
Do you have the repair receipts for this incident listed in CarFax?
06/27/1992 Ohio
Police Report
Cincinnati, OH
Case #19920870492 Accident reported
Vehicle involved in crash
with another motor vehicle
i told you the option tag only says 'co2'. Some cars only say this, others can varify this. I will personally give you one thousand dollars if you can find any replaced body parts. You are only 1.5 hours away, come on down. As i said before, the car is not cosmeticaly great. Acceptable by some, others, not so much. But mechanically as good as you will find. Period.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

FWIW, the option tag in the underside of my '85s hood states only "CO3" and then "S" on the right end of the second line, under options, nothing else (yes, that is CO3 not CO2 in my case). I am 100% sure that my car was not in a crash (and I have had it apart far enough to be certain). Not that that means anything for this car, just pointing out that not all cars were stacked with options.

As far as the accident damage on the Carfax, well it could be anything from a major hit to a minor fender bender. A detailed inspection by a competent person (i.e. PPI) should yield the needed information. If it was not a serious hit and the damage was repaired well, then I would still say this car may be a good deal (naturally all the usual caveats about the necessity of a good PPI that goes with any of these cars).
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a very good looking car! Great price. Sure, get a PPI, but I'm guessing somebody will be getting a whole lot of car for the money.

Personally, I prefer Pelican's policy that eliminates the opportunity for everybody (including tire kickers) to pile on with a lot loaded questions.

I'm not even in the market ... but it crossed my mind to call about this one.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
dumdik
Intermediate

as good as I could get to come out
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I would have thought a better reponse to the accident report would be to explain where the car was damaged if at all, and how it was repaired. Apparently the car has new body panels, at least that is what the seller is hinting at.

I thought I fairly pointed out that there are good and bad places to have accident damage in a 911. I maintain that front end or suspension damage is probably the worst. Yes the cars can be brought back from horrible wrecks, but it is expensive to do so, and you need an old school body guy, not one of the new age bolt on, bolt off type guys.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
dumdik
Intermediate

If the car was damaged very bad, I doubt ANYONES body work would hold up well after 17 years. I was hinting that it has never been badly damaged. Get a sense of humor dude. Who knows, maybe the guy was sitting at a light and some goofy broad bumped into him, and he was so pissed about his 6 year old 911 he called the cops. All sheet metal is original, and there are ZERO signs of body work. I would know.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
blkshp6
Cruisin'

Thanks for the pic from under the deck lid. I'll need a little more information than "northen KY" to drive down to see it for myself though.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

I wonder if you can ask the Cincinnati police to release the details of that accident report to you or perhaps the Freedom of Information Act makes it available by request to anyone who asks?
It sure would make things easy on everyone if the policemans report said something like Porsche was T-boned by school bus and was almost cut in two...OR...Porsche suffered minor scrape to drivers door by mailmans hand cart...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ask them if it was ever reported stolen while you're at it
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
dumdik
Intermediate

They are a very organized PD, I am sure they would have no problem finding and delivering a 17 year old report to any interested party.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I would think the motor vehicle dept. would turn up that kind of info. The reason I mention it is that it seems peculiar for the PD to be involved in a minor fender bender unless there was something "off" about the person who was driving it back then. For example, a kid steals a 911, goes for a joyride, bumps into another vehicle. Or a DUI, or some such. Otherwise, the PD only gets called when the wreck is severe enough to disable a vehicle and block traffic.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those wheels are definetly 7"s in the rear from the pictures displayed. They just look closer to the fender lip than most 7's but could be the angles. The shot of it in the garage definetly looks normal...where the outside shot has the rear wheel out farther.

Quick Reply: For Sale: 1986 Carrera Coupe