Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

new to me 911SC !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new to me 911SC !!!

I just wanted to say hello. I just picked up my 1980 911SC today and am pretty excited. Its a project car with old so-so paint (re-spray) and a tattered interior. The body has a few rust spots where it probably got nicked here and there but the floors, rockers, etc are solid. The engine had a top end rebuild in the last 20k miles or so, new clutch, tensioner, pop-off, A/C works, etc.

The headliner is bad, sunroof broken, and seats are torn. Oh, and yes the dash is cracked.

I THINK it could be a Euro spec car but not sure. I have no real records on the car and only know a little because my trusted mechanic worked on it for one of his customers. I would not have purchased it sans records without his PPI. It has the kilo speedo but has all the other US-spec stuff on it. Maybe its Canadian?

After I've run it for a few hundred miles and am sure it is solid mechanically, I would like to start the long task up upgrading/restoring. What are some of the best things to start off with on these cars (excluding the issues mentioned above)? It has green bilsteins, should I upgrade these or are these lifetime sport shocks? I think the car needs to be lowered too, should I just lower it as -is or change the torsen bars? What size bars are good for street/DE car?

I am a little scattered with this post, just excited to get started. I have used the search function and will continue to do so but wanted some immediate feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by Todd951968; 02-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Here are some more photos

Last edited by Todd951968; 02-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Hi there, nice to see pics of your new toy.
I'm sure it will be a fun project.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Rod.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't be a Canadian car. It doesn't have snow tires on it... ;-)

Otherwise, it's a very nice example. Enjoy!

Rod.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! I like the color. I'd wait on all of the upgrades, including lowering the car, until you have some miles on it first. You mentioned that you've owned other Porsches? 911s? I think it makes sense to do a thorough safety inspection. Make sure the brakes are good. Flush the old fluid, do a tuneup, change oil and filters, etc. Check CV joints, suspension bearings, wheel bearings, etc. Make sure the car is sound before going for upgrades. Also, go out and drive it.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Yes, also own a 968 and 944 Turbo for 10 years now. They are great cars in their own right. But, this is my first 911 and I have a lot to learn about them. I need to put some seat time in to get a feel for the rear engined car. My mechanic looked over the car (it was formally owned by another customer of his) but I intend to renew fluids, check brakes etc. I plan on doing this maintenance stuff over the rest of the driving season (mid-west) while I get used to driving the car. Then, start looking for some upgrade and restoration parts in Hershey next spring.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Congrats and good luck. Sound like you have an idea of what you are dealing with.

Brett
Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks nice! I'm going to disagree with rusnak and suggest you get on the height right away. It looks to be higher than even US specs to me-seems like it would be evil handling......

You should update your location in your info.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Looks nice! I'm going to disagree with rusnak and suggest you get on the height right away. It looks to be higher than even US specs to me-seems like it would be evil handling......

You should update your location in your info.
yes, lowering the car is high on the to-do list. It currently measures 26 1/8 ground to fender arch in the rear and 26 -3/8 front fenter arch to ground. I'm not sure what US-spec height is but I'd like to go to Euro-spec or a little lower. I just want to decide if I am going to change the torsen bars or leave them stock. I dont' want to duplicate work down the road.

I'm still getting a feel for the handling. Its pretty good at moderate speeds. I took it off road to an open parking lot and induced some oversteer to see what its like. The car drifts/power sides really well and its a lot of fun!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Todd, if you don't already have a Bentley Publisher service manual, you can probably find one on Amazon. You might also enjoy Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I picked up Bruce Anderson's book yesterday and have "101 Projects for your 911" coming from an ebay purchase. I was hoping to be able to download a factory shop manual for the 911, but haven't been able to find one....like the guys with the 944's do. I'll have to look into getting a Bentley manual, too.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
jwilson95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd-

Welcome to air-cooled world from the water pumpers. I have done the same in the past.

I would agree with Rusnak to make sure "all is well" mechanically first in order to avoid any large mainternance bills that might be pending and then immediately go for the lowering and then the restoration followed by upgrades.

It is all personal choice and depends on your budget available now vs. over time. It tends to be a journey and the fun part of getting the car "right".

Car looks good in the pics.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on all above posts. Get the chassis sorted out. Bushings, tie rods, bearings, shocks, brakes, etc. It would be fine, at least in my mind to retain the stock torsion bars and lower it properly to euro ride height when doing all of the bushings and stuff. Certainly look for a shop that can corner weight and properly align the car all at once. This will transform the car beyond your wildest imagination and worry about the torsion bars and suspension mods later after you get everything sorted out.
After the chassis is on, I would have to suggest SSI stainless heat exchangers with a quality muffler like M&K or a Monty. This will be the best money you could spend albeit a little pricey.
If you do all of this you will never look back on a water pumper and have a remarkably quick 911 with great manners.

Where are you located? Maybe a few fellow listers will be able to suggest shops, have parts, offer help, or offer beer. Its always great to see a car go to a good home and have an enthusiastic owner.
Good luck!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

.. and that car looks like it is sitting very high ... could be that the wheel wells are brown so it looks off .. But looks like a nice start .. welcome aboard
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

The car is sitting high but only about 1 inch above Euro spec per my above post. I'm not sure what US height is.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA for any listers nearby.

Quick Reply: new to me 911SC !!!