Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

my steering wheel is loose...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009 | 09:05 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

rusnak, do you have a pic of the plastice edge razor cap wedged inside or a pic of it before you put it in. I'd like to see how its cut.

thanks, leo
Old 07-31-2009 | 12:53 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
Its does move side to side very little. However, if I hold down the top of steering wheel it does not move side to side(did that make any sense). Im thinking the play it has side to side is just slack. Im hoping im in the clear for the bearing job!
please tell me I am.

leo
That's exactly what mine did before I had the bearing replaced.
It would wobble top to bottom during hard braking or on rough roads.
A slight downward pressure from the top made it behave fine.
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:26 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Leo, I don't think I did take a picture of that. If your steering shaft is not too worn, then you can use the Edge Gel cap. Cut a strip about an inch or so, including the bottom. The detents that hold the cap onto the can act as bump stops to prevent the plastic from slipping on down the column. Cut the strip to the correct length to wrap around the steering shaft with a little gap (do not overlap). Tap the plastic with a punch or wooden dowel down into the gap betweent the steering shaft and the steering bearing race. After you manage to get the steering wheel off, the whole thing will take less than 20 minutes.

It's cheap. If your steering shaft is too worn (narrow diameter), then Mitch's steering bearing holder might work better for you. I have had Mitch's part in my car since last Fall, and the steering is rock solid with no rubbing or squeaking whatsoever. I had the Edge plastic lid in there for maybe 6 months or so, and it seemed ok. I repaired my dad's 911SC last year with this method, and it's working well too.
Old 08-06-2009 | 10:46 AM
bourgeois911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just repaired my steering wheel last evening, bought the 14 buck quick fix from Pelican. The original nylon insert was pretty much powdered. Start to finish, around a 5 minuter job. The actual bearing looked just fine.

Quick Reply: my steering wheel is loose...