Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Windshield seal leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 06:47 AM
Mal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Windshield seal leaks

Where can I get instructions for removing the windshield and replacing the gasket. Would appreciate any advice/tips from someone who has done this job or is this something to completely step away from and leave to a shop?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:58 AM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wayne's book "101 Projects" has some info this subject, it is rated as 3 mechanics which means moderatly difficult. I did this myself a few years back the only problem I encountered was getting the new seal to fit properly agansit the bodywork. Had to install and revove the windshield several times to get it right.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a precaution on this job. Often times the windshielf frame will have a little rust where the gasket is loose. If this is the case make sure the frame is completely clean and any rust is removed and painted over.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Be careful! Old windhields get brittle and many have experienced breakage after replacing an old one. I've heard that having more than one person help you apply pressure to seat the gasket helps with some breakage problems.

Noel
Old 12-17-2002, 04:29 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the gasket still seeems to be o.k. but is just making noise, you can also try to seal it with any silicon based sealant or caulking. Use clear or black and go under the seal to the edge of the sheet metal.

Quick Reply: Windshield seal leaks