Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 04:25 PM
Tugsy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911 Noise

I have an 85 911 Carrera that makes noise on cold mornings. The "grind" or "scratch" noise sounds like it comes from the right rear seat area or wheel well. Almost like a feul pump that is going bad or is it possible that is where an oil pump is? Anyone have any ideas I would appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:00 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are my thoughts....

1. If it is a gurgling sound it could be that the wheel well thermostat isn't completely closed when cold, and is allowing some oil and air to go through. This is fairly normal and no service is really required, unless you want to spend 400 bucks on a new part and a have a major PITA uncoulping the old thermostat.

2. If it sounds line someone dragging a chain around just above idle when you rev the engine, your chain tensioners are going away and need to be quickly replaced.

Cold weather could aggrevate both of these conditions
Old 10-16-2002, 05:06 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Right rear seat area, no fuel pump or oil pump but one drive axle & brake. You didn’t say if the car was moving or not but if it is when you hear the noise check out your right half shaft. Sounds like it could be a badly worn constant velocity joint. But could also be a dragging caliper or emergency brake.

Quick Reply: 911 Noise