Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Exhaust newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust newbie

I have read a few of the countless exhaust threads started but my question is... pretty newbie

Any who, i was thinking about picking up an M&K 2in1out muffler. Im concerned about the fabrication and where the pipes will meet with my current setup. i need to replace the old one, I have an exhaust leak.

My question; what type of fabrication will be required to install the 2in1out MK muffler. Do i need to to purchase a cat-bypass? I understand passing smog will be trouble without a cat, how are people solving this issue?

Here's the bottom of my engine:

Any insight to this issue will prevent further searching. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of Cat is that? It doesn't look stock. Where are the 3 flange bolts to connect to the muffler?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that you need to have headers or a back-dated system like SSI's to be able to use a 2 in muffler. I am sure there are ways to have something fabbed to make the hook up, but I think systems like the SSI's give the over all best results. I am sure someone in Cali can chime in for your case.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flatsix, you are right plus there are two lines needed for the SSI changeover. To do an SSI chanover with lines could run as much as $3000 or more. depends on whether you can find them used or new plus the cost of the early dual in muffler..
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I was under the impression that SSI's and the oil lines are a "lot" less than that. I think the $3K would more than cover the muffler too.

Another option are B&B headers. They are great, and come with the oil line needed to work. I think these are still in the $1500 neighborhood. I think Ben had worked up a muffler for this setup at some point-but maybe it never went to production. Contact Ben for the latest.

If you pull your stock exchangers, do yourself a favor and get an oxy-acetylene torch. Heat is your friend if you want to avoid broken exhaust studs.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Just checked Pelican-I'm right. $1500 would get you SSI's and oil lines as well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust newbie