Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Destroyed Michelin Cups in 1 DE... are they right for dual purpose car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

my Student ran them - blue group pretty hard - he wanted to get signed off on solo - on track at Sebring was 116 degrees. They did not "go away" even with him pushing them hard - he has an 88 coupe -

My NT 05's just barely got a little greasy on my car - But I was really pushing the car one session - the next session I had a blow out - driver's rear on on T10. That was exciting . Luckily I heard it and felt it at the exact some time and was able to turn into the skid and get the car under control quickly.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sizes are you running? I think I see a 225/50-16 on there... front or rear?

When I was running dedicated wheels / tires for my DE days, I ran Victoracers (once drove a near-spent set after running at Summit Point, WV to Michigan... I don't recommend doing R tires on the street at all after doing this... especially if there's rain in the forecast).

For the 911, I had Kumho MX for street, with 16x6 / 16x8, and these were plenty tough for street, and grippy enough for a DE.

I have 16x8 / 16x9 now, and went with Hankook Ventus R-S2 this time... and I think these are better than the MX's I think.

If you can find them for your sizes, the Falken RT-615 should be a nice compromise too. I ran their predecessor (Azenis Sport) for DE / Street / Auto-X on my track SHO after selling the track wheels & VRs, but the Falkens had BIG pressure increases as they got hot, making the grip go buh-bye very quickly. Watching the pressures was a huge must.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
What sizes are you running? I think I see a 225/50-16 on there... front or rear?
Hi Fred, I'm running stock 16x6/7 Fuchs --- 205/55x16 and 225/50x16.

I was gonna buy 16x7/8 track wheels but if the 16" tires keep disappearing, I may go to 17" wheels for the track.

When I was running dedicated wheels / tires for my DE days, I ran Victoracers (once drove a near-spent set after running at Summit Point, WV to Michigan... I don't recommend doing R tires on the street at all after doing this... especially if there's rain in the forecast).
That's sort of the conclusion I'm coming to. I'm just not sure it makes sense to get another set of MPSC (or other R-cmpds) since I have to run on the street.

For the 911, I had Kumho MX for street, with 16x6 / 16x8, and these were plenty tough for street, and grippy enough for a DE.

I have 16x8 / 16x9 now, and went with Hankook Ventus R-S2 this time... and I think these are better than the MX's I think.

If you can find them for your sizes, the Falken RT-615 should be a nice compromise too. I ran their predecessor (Azenis Sport) for DE / Street / Auto-X on my track SHO after selling the track wheels & VRs, but the Falkens had BIG pressure increases as they got hot, making the grip go buh-bye very quickly. Watching the pressures was a huge must.
Thanks for the recommendations. The Falken RT615 not availabe in my size. Hankook Ventus is but I haven't found many first-hand reviews of it. I sort of overlooked the Kumho MX because the XS gets all the attention these days, but they aren't in my size.

I can't find much bad about the Dunlop and that's why I'm leaning towards it. But I'm still trying to sort it all out.

Quick Reply: Destroyed Michelin Cups in 1 DE... are they right for dual purpose car?