Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear caliper options for 79' SC with 930 rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear caliper options for 79' SC with 930 rotors?

I have a 79 SC that has been a project car for many years. A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to get Bilstein coilovers and brakes off a wrecked 930 very cheap. This particular car had the original 930 rotors with 993 front calipers all the way around and used an adjustable proporting valve to adjust the brake bias. I got the conplete front suspension, rear coilovers, rotors, calipers, mounts, 930 master cylinder and the adjustable proportioning valve.

The fronts are a direct bolt-on, so nothing to do there. I am keeping the SC trailing arms, so the rear is really the question. I am not stuck on using the 933 front calipers in the rear. In fact, I am really thinking about using a pair of 993 rears or 965 rears as the brake bias should be acceptable without an adjustable proportioning valve.

Anyone have advice on these setups? What adpaters woudl you need and who makes them?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I have a 79 SC that has been a project car for many years. A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to get Bilstein coilovers and brakes off a wrecked 930 very cheap. This particular car had the original 930 rotors with 993 front calipers all the way around and used an adjustable proporting valve to adjust the brake bias. I got the conplete front suspension, rear coilovers, rotors, calipers, mounts, 930 master cylinder and the adjustable proportioning valve.

The fronts are a direct bolt-on, so nothing to do there. I am keeping the SC trailing arms, so the rear is really the question. I am not stuck on using the 933 front calipers in the rear. In fact, I am really thinking about using a pair of 993 rears or 965 rears as the brake bias should be acceptable without an adjustable proportioning valve.

Anyone have advice on these setups? What adpaters woudl you need and who makes them?

Thanks
Either 993 rear or 965 rear will do fine, 965 is a slightly better choice because it is designed for 28mm rotors, 993 is sligtly narrower(for 24mm rotors) and needs extra work to fit.

I used that set up for a few years it does work well w/o a p/v, you will want 17" wheels and 23.8mm m/c.

to fit either of those calipers, fill the existing axial mount holes w/ an aluminum plug, redrill to fit the 3" mounts and 309m rotors. I used to have pics on one of my sites but the site was taken down and I haven't gotten around to putting it back up. The 993 rears require additional work w/ a grinder to widen the throat area.

Alternately and much more expensive is to mill the existing mouting ears off and convert the calipers to radial mount(like the fronts). VCI offers this later method.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:47 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I just bought a pair of 965 rear calipers and found a shop who will do the rest. Yes, I am going with 17" wheels. The car was converted to a wide body with 9" turbo front fenders and 13" rear quarters. I have a 930 M/C to handle the pressure.

Quick Reply: Rear caliper options for 79' SC with 930 rotors?