Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009 | 02:20 PM
Jim Beam
Intermediate

Default Paint Issue

All,
I wonder if some of you may have addressed my issue? My terms are probably incorrect. The crinkle/orange peel painted spoiler? part on the front - below the bumper- has developed cracks. It was that way when I got the car. I am wondering what options are available. Take it off for refinishing? Others?
Jim Beam
Old 07-13-2009 | 10:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i don't se what you couldn't take it off and have it refinished. I have heard of guys taking it off to pit the lower air valance on so why not. I imagine it gets a fair bit of road rash over the years and the odd curb rash.
Old 07-14-2009 | 02:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What you need to do is to start over. In the paint business there is a rubberised additive for paint that is sort of like a sound deadener or undercoating. You mix it into the paint and apply it in all the impact areas of the car. When I did some selective repainting on one of my 911s from the 1980s I repainted all the removable pieces and where applicable, used that additive to protect the paint from further damage. The stuff is very pliable, and will endure quite a bit of road abuse, particularly behind the rear wheels, or entirely on the front airdam. It sounds like the aging of the original product has resulted in cracks. It's nothing that can't be fixed. it's worth the effort.
Old 07-14-2009 | 03:39 AM
IB Adrian
Administrator

As mentioned by Dan, you can get a rubberized treatment, there are ones to apply with the paint, personally I have had better success with ones that you utilize as a primer before applying an undercoat.

Quick Reply: Paint Issue