Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

passenger door jammed in locked position

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 PM
redz350
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger door jammed in locked position

My 1988 Carrera Targa passenger door is stuck/jammed in a locked position. This problem happened when I was fooling around with the door after the lock cylinder pulled completely out of the door handle with the key in it after I tied to lock the door. I understand that there is a phillips head screw that must have come lose from the back of the lock cylinder. At first I managed to get in a situation where the door wouldn't close at all. After some jimmying I managed to get the door latch in a position to get the the door closed and latched, but now it seems to be stuck between a locked and unlocked position (the locking button will neither go all the way down or up). The effect is that the door is locked and I can't open it. Does anyone know of any tricks to get the door lock to release so that I can open the door. I know I will probably need to take the door panel off, and can probably do this with the door closed, but it would be a lot easier if I could get the door opened first. I have power door locks if that make a difference. Any help/advice to deal with this situation will be much appreciated! Thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the lock cylinder is still out, then you can probably push the door actuator in with a screwdriver to open the door. Once the door is open, it's a cinch to get the door panel off and fix the door handle. If that fails to work, then you may have to try to remove the door panel from inside the car.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 AM
cornaylor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I know this comment might be a little too late but I own a secondhand 2008 911 and I had the same exact problem last week, mine was stuck in a locked position. I tried opening the panel and fixing the door latch, bought new door lock kits from home depot and all but I think i did more damage than help. I had to take it to a locksmith and I recommend this locksmith. They told me it's because of my car's old age, probably because of the old owners' carelesness, and because of the interior locking switch not properly connected to the car door latch. He repaired the broken connections like a piece of cake. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: passenger door jammed in locked position