Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ANOTHER oil change story ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts
Default ANOTHER oil change story ....

This one prety straight forward but i think I set a new record for me.. I was out last night and decided I was going to do an oil change. I hapened to get home at 1:30am so thought that would be a great time. I always want to get the most out that I can so i tried a new aproach. here in this Part of Canada it is sometimes difficult to get the car hot enough to even open the stat fully so here is what i did.

on the last 2km of my trip i downshifted and did the last county road to my house in 3rd at about 4000 rpm .. which made me REAL popular I am sure ..

As soon as I pulled in the garage I could see the temp was 210 degrees. Perfect.

So I threw my two oil pans under , took the 15mm oil tank plug out and the 19mm crankase plug out ( took about 15 seconds ) and went inside and went to bed ( of course I put my NO OIL sign on my seat )

Next morning the pans were fuller than I have seen em ...

I spun on the new filter, filled , it , drove it , topped it up .. and a record setting 11.75 quarts went back in . I think it is safe to say i got out as much as I am going to get .

I should also say I fill it to the full mark .. not the half way point. May be against popular opinion but I don't care ( remember I am the guy with no pop off )
I have never had a drop go into my intake with even hard cornering and I have an updated oil level sender with matching dipstick so it is calibrated about a half litre lower than the original one that came with my car so loks like Porsche took care of that problem anyway ....

carry on ...
Old 06-27-2009, 03:22 PM
AHI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would know you were Canadian from you Avatar....

I cant believe you got 12 quarts in there !!!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah .. can you believe i looked under to see if there was any leaking back out
Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah .. can you believe i looked under to see if there was any leaking back out
Yeah, I've done that a few times. I have to work to keep my oil from going over 210 though.

I never knew they make matching oil level senders and dipsticks. I should check mine again, but the last time I did, the gauge on the dash matched the dipstick. What is hard to know is where exactly "full minus 1 quart" would be on either the gauge or the dipstick.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

11.75 Canadian.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah I they updated the sender after I think 1980 maybe or so ... when i ordered it it said I had to order a replacement dipstick to match ( 1 930 part number ) . When the new sender arrived it had a completel different legnth float arm, When I compared the dipstick to my current one the add mark was exactly the same but the full mark was about 3/4 of an inch down the dipstick.
When i do my final top up I just look through the back window of the car and add oil until i see the needle hit the solid white at the top. When I check the dipstick after it is dead on the full mark. Amazing.

I usually have to drve 5000km before it drops to about the middle and i have to wait about 3,000 km more before it drops enough so I can change it without it overflowing my container ..

Quick Reply: ANOTHER oil change story ....