Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

what ignition do I need with my webers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 01:35 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Post what ignition do I need with my webers?

I am trying to get my 1968 2.0L engine to run. It was originally a 911L engine placed in a 912 car but the ignition is stock. At some point the carbs were replaced by dual Weber 40ID3TP triple-throat carbs from PMO. My mechanic told me I need a new ignition system to burn hot enough for the carbs. Is this true? Or do I simply need to adjust the current ignition system? He suggested MSD. If so, what model by MSD do I need?

thanks,
Joseph Mitro
Old 12-15-2002, 01:52 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know anything about the 912 ignition. But you could certainly use a 911 CDI. If you go the MSD route, the 6A or 6AL are the ones to use.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:21 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by joseph mitro:
<strong>I am trying to get my 1968 2.0L engine to run. It was originally a 911L engine placed in a 912 car but the ignition is stock. At some point the carbs were replaced by dual Weber 40ID3TP triple-throat carbs from PMO. My mechanic told me I need a new ignition system to burn hot enough for the carbs. Is this true? Or do I simply need to adjust the current ignition system? He suggested MSD. If so, what model by MSD do I need?

thanks,
Joseph Mitro</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Joseph:

As you might already know (your mechanic certainly does), Weber-carbureted cars tend to run rich as that provides best overall drivability. This challenges ignition systems to the max to keep plugs clear.

I've had the best luck using MSD-6AL CD boxes with the matching impedance MSD Blaster (high-vibration) coils. These ignition system have enough power to allow the use of the wider plug gaps (.040) that keep plugs clear and make better power.

Just make certain that your cap, rotor, and plug wires/connectors are perfect, as any resistance will cause local burning. I much prefer the Magnecor wire sets. You may also fit a Perlux Ignitor to eliminate the points, once and for all.

As long as your Webers have 3.5 psi of regulated fuel pressure, and the floats are set spot-on, you will be just fine,....
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (10-05-2020)

Quick Reply: what ignition do I need with my webers?