911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How do I test the heater blower relay?

Old 12-15-2002, 12:40 AM
tlehm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do I test the heater blower relay?

The heater blower (the one in the engine compartment) on my 85 Carrera stopped working and I have gone through all of the usual checks of the fuses and the connections. I am thinking my problem is with the blower relay, can anyone give me an idea of how to test it?

Regards,
Tim Lehman
Old 12-16-2002, 12:29 PM
Dom_911
AutoX

I don't know how to test the relay properly, but I had a problem last week with my heater blower. My fan stuck on and I had to remove the heater relay in the engine bay in order to get it to switch off with the ignition. If you find a cheap source, I wouldn't mind hearing about it, as the cheapest quote I have so far is £140!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:50 PM
tlehm
2nd Gear

The cost of replacing the relay is exactly why I want to be able to test it and make that is my problem. The cheapest replacement I have been able to find has been $120.00 and I really don't want to take a chance on a used on.

Regards,
Tim Lehman
Old 12-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Tim: Theres a relay that is just like the heater relay in the trunk behind the black fuse panel for the fog lights I think? You could do a switch to test. How much is a relay? I've never priced one.
Cheers
Old 12-19-2002, 10:40 AM
NapTownSpeedy
Track Day

You need a volt meter.
Turn ingnition switch to all the way on, but do not start the car. Then turn your auto heat dial (between the seats) to any on position. Make sure the lever moves upward a bit.

Go to the relay with the volt meter. Touch your negative lead to the metal surrounding the rely. Touch the positive lead to the positive terminal on the relay. (if memory serves this is the 3rd fuse). If your needle moves you have juice to the rely.

Now, on the right side of the blower motor there is the wire connector to the blower. Unplug the connector. Touch the leads to the separate points on the connector. Switch leads to make sure you have pos/neg right. If needle moves on either way the relay works and the fan is shot.

Hope this helps. This is what I did to determine that my relay was fine and the fan was kaput.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:41 PM
pete915
7th Gear

Cool

[quote]Originally posted by tlehm:
<strong>The heater blower (the one in the engine compartment) on my 85 Carrera stopped working and I have gone through all of the usual checks of the fuses and the connections. I am thinking my problem is with the blower relay, can anyone give me an idea of how to test it?

Regards,
Tim Lehman</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-24-2002, 03:01 PM
pete915
7th Gear

Smile

Tim,
I had same problem with my 86 911. Problem was with the heater control box above the handbrake. Turned out the micro switches inside the rotary dial had developed an open circuit. If you remove this box ( 4 socket screws) and diconnect the 4 plugs, plus lever coupling, you will be able to take the box out of the car. Remove the motor/gearbox (4 screws), and you can then remove the switch gear (pull the dial **** off first).
With this done, you'll have full access to the switch gear. Use a multi-meter across each switch. On mine the little lever on one switch had lost its tension and failed to make contact. Bent the lever alittle and presto, fine.
Check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I test the heater blower relay?