Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The individual character of 911s

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The individual character of 911s

Today I took my Carrera to a mechanic. He let me drive his SC to compare suspension and tire setups.

It hit me just how different every 911 is. His was nothing like the two other SCs I've driven. No two SCs, 911s, or 964s I've driven have felt the same.

I drove home a Suburu AWD wagon as a loner car. A few days ago, I had to drive a Honda CRV. I drive a Toyota Matrix daily. As I was driving today, it struck me that all three of those vehicles felt exactly the same. If my eyes were closed (which I try not to do too often on the road) I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which.

They lack character. It's as if they were all made so you could listen to a radio, talk on a cell phone, or think about work as you drive. They aren't about being in the moment; they are all designed so you can be somewhere else.

Pathetic.

I learned to like my 911 --- and every other unique individual 911 --- a bit more today.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I think live in the moment is the perfect way to describe why we love these cars. It's about enjoying each mile, not getting from here to there. It's about enjoying life if you ask me. Oh yeah, my condolences for having to drive the Suby and the CRV. Out here CRV means "California Redemption Value", or the 5c deposit you get back on aluminum cans. Oh, you were talking aobut a car, right sorry. lol

Interesting point about the individuality of 911s as well. I don't think I have ever heard anyone else express this before, even though in the back of my mind I think each one is unique. It makes me think these cars have a soul, though probably most of my religious friends would disagree.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

No doubt! For better or worse the character of those three modern cars would probably show itself the closer you got to 10/10 ths. Most modern car buyers are looking for the same thing, (affodrable and reliable around town) so it's probably not surprising that they drive similarly. What does surprise me is how numb newer 911's have become. To me a 996 feels like a nice Japanese car...no offense to any 996 lovers out there, and Im sure the twin turbo is a different story.

Shannon if you are talking about an aqua blue (I'm sure thats not the Porsche name for the color) SC with bright blue interior, I doubt you'll find a better handling all stock impact bumper car out there. I think the tires help a lot too. I got a chance to run against that car (and driver) at an autocross this weekend, it was FAST. I had ~100 hp advantage on cheap street tires and I don't remember if I got him by our last run or not. I believe we were separated by less than a second. Both of our times were less than 2 sec off FTD on a 60second course... That little SC is no slouch, and of course neither is its driver.

On a side note regarding individual 911 handling; This was my first outing with my 3.6 RSR engine, and I learned that now I have enough HP to smoothly transition from trailing throttle oversteer to power on oversteer without changing the slip angle! ...I think I saw the corner worker crouch behind a concrete light base one time though. Where's the trust?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

It makes me think these cars have a soul, though probably most of my religious friends would disagree.
Maybe not a soul, but almost. It's kind of a nature vs nuture thing...PO maintenance etc etc.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Shannon if you are talking about an aqua blue (I'm sure thats not the Porsche name for the color) SC with bright blue interior, I doubt you'll find a better handling all stock impact bumper car out there.
Yep - that is the one! It felt SOLID. No, I don't want to do battle with him on the track. I'd be humiliated. After my little cruise around the neighborhood, I decided I need to restart my search for a set of track wheels and R-cmpd tires. Whew, those were nice.

rusnak: Never discuss religion or philosophy with a friend... but... to break my own rule: my philosophical beliefs are based around the value of living in the moment. To me "multi-tasking" is a sin When I'm driving a 911 I find myself smiling just because I'm in the moment. I can achieve that at other times but find I have to work at it. The 911 brings it on without effort. And on the track - if you slip out of the moment, you're probably gonna find yourself in the sand trap. Perhaps that is why I am attracted to the track and to my Cabriolet. It's easier to feel like I'm in the world rather than an observer of it.

Buddhism 101. Now... back to cars
Old 06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

But there is nothing like the smell of a pre 964 car. That I think is fairly consistent.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
But there is nothing like the smell of a pre 964 car. That I think is fairly consistent.

Originally Posted by rusnak
Oh yeah, my condolences for having to drive the CRV.
I was hauling an injured Red Tail Hawk to a rehab center. So those numbing daily drivers do serve a purpose. Occasionally.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

It is the sound,..the response,..the rear end weight that demands special attention. Speed Demons? (my 89 stock?..I think not,..many can "dust " this car in straightaway speed),..but in those twisties,..she SO talks to you (torsion bar connection)...it is a "high" that's hard to describe..I can only imagine massive weight reduction (as many have shared) and the fruits of that labor.........

..for the $$$, she's the car for me,..it's a matter of affording the ongoing maintenance,..staying on top oif all things (upgrades aside).

p11VET puts it best , in that it's a Buddhist thing...connectivity.

Best,

Doyle
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911vet
When I'm driving a 911 I find myself smiling just because I'm in the moment. I can achieve that at other times but find I have to work at it. The 911 brings it on without effort. And on the track - if you slip out of the moment, you're probably gonna find yourself in the sand trap. Perhaps that is why I am attracted to the track and to my Cabriolet. It's easier to feel like I'm in the world rather than an observer of it.

Buddhism 101. Now... back to cars
Shannon, I also do not discuss religion w friends. I grew up Jodo Shinshu Buddhist though. I think it teaches you to not retain negativity in your life. I bought a Pema Chodron book last year that I've yet to really accept. But I think I've integrated a lot of things such as living each moment to it's fullest. I also absorbed the Bushido stuff from my grandfather before he died.....anyhoo, back to your original programming.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
To me a 996 feels like a nice Japanese car...no offense to any 996 lovers out there, and Im sure the twin turbo is a different story.

So, now we're insulting Japanese cars! Just kidding, just kidding....
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

To me "multi-tasking" is a sin
I thought of your thread this morning while I was following a Subaru wagon with the lisence plate "MULT TSK"

So, now we're insulting Japanese cars!
Actually.... maybe.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree about that SC's setup (konis', etc), I just couldn't live with a Smurf blue interior! I was there when he picked that car up at the Hershey Swap Meet, and I've never in my life seen nicer, softer leather in a 20+ year old car!
Ryan - good to meet you Sunday. I was the guy temporarily staging cars (until lunch). I screwed up my heel, and can't stand for on pavement for long periods of time.
Now - bring that car out to Putnam and see what it will do (besides scare the poop out of you).

And yeah- I always think the smell of these cars is mostly do to having hot oil strung from one end to another.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Alan, It was nice to meet you as well! I imagine a lot of people don't like the smurf blue interior... I think is cool, in an "out there" way. I saw a silver turbo carrera with the same interior, and I loved it.

I'm looking to do a few small maintenance things and hopefully be at OSU for the autocross on the 28th. I don't know how my work schedule will treat me for making a track day soon. I'm hoping for mid ohio in late summer.

Shannon, you should sneak up to Columbus and do an autocross with these guys...everyone needs an additional motorsports addiction right?

I always thought the unique smell was from the leather and interior materials... 944's all seem to have their own smell too.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a cool thread. As a Porsche factory tech I have driven literally hundreds of different Porsche within the dealer network. When I worked at an indie shop, there were lots of older 911s.
It is not easily expressed, but there are good cars and bad and it has nothing to do with milage or condition. Some 911s just feel better than others. They all have an indelable Porscheness, but they all have a personallity of sorts. This was hard to describe, especially on a PPI, but I found myself saying to the customer "this is a good car", or "you might want drive a few more" based on an abstract feeling in addition to the condition of the hardware.
We used to joke about the cars with an October build date as this is Octoberfest in germany - the whole factory was drunk.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that all the old Carreras all feel (and sound) a little different from each other because there was still a substantial element of being built by hand. However, you will find little difference, if any, between same model 997s. It's a reduced tolerance stacking thing due to improved and automated manufacturing techniques, not loss of a soul.

And if you think there are differences among 911s, try some 356's sometime. They were really hand built wonders.

Quick Reply: The individual character of 911s