Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PPI before or after in-person visit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 AM
rjwz28
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI before or after in-person visit?

I am looking to buy my first 911. I've had a 914 and 912 before but always wanted a 911. I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and have come across an 89 coupe that I am interested in. I've seen pictures and stuff and now want to take it further. The only thing is that the car is on another Island in Hawaii several hundred miles away. It wil cost me about a hundred dollars or so to fly there to see the car in person. I've read a lot on this forum about having these cars go through a PPI before deciding to buy one, so I want to have one of the Porsche repair shops there to do one on it. So my question is, should I go and see it first, or have a PPI done first? BTW, I'm having my daughter look at it for cosmetic reasons first to see the overall condition of the exterior and interior (for rips in the seats, carpet stains, etc.). Of course nothing mechanical. Just to see if it is worth it for me to fly over there to see it.

Thank you for your time.

Aloha,
Rob
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

first thing is pics for sure . then if your happy with that get the ppi I would say
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PPI usually costs more than $100 so in terms of limiting your risk, flying out first would be the logical next step. Also, you can tell so much from a test drive, to me more so than some facts written up on a PPI report. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with 'Troy' a thorough PPI will cost a couple hundred $$. You need to see/drive it first and decide if you even want to pursue it further with a PPI. To do a PPI first is putting the cart before the horse IMO. If you were thousands of miles away it would be a different story.

Good luck!

P.S. - a Porsche shop in Hawaii some people are truely blessed
Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, but add the caveat that if you know almost nothing about cars, then the PPI is probably the first step. If you are a car veteran and motorhead, then you need to see the car first. If you are a Porsche veteran and motorhead, then you can let the PPI go until you have inspected the car, offered a conditional price, and want the car. A deposit will hold the car until the PPI is done.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might tentatively set up the PPI with your visit so if everything looks good you could go ahead with the PPI while you're there. Just curious, does your climate promote rust in our cars?

Good luck,
Old 06-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

what about agreeing on price before doing a ppi?

Quick Reply: PPI before or after in-person visit?