Newbie questions on 87-89 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Ricker1970
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions on 87-89 911

Hello gents,

I am a newbie here, I am in the market for a 3.2l 911 on the East Coast here in the range of $15-17k. I am fairly new to the 911 world other than reading this forum.
I've had the chance to drive of these few cars in nice condition with 100k+ miles. They are truly awesome.

I see some cars for sale around me that had top end rebuilds with 100k+ miles, and some that have not has a top end rebuild.

Should I look for cars that have already had the rebuild done, as opposed to
a car that has not had any rebuild?

My questions is do these 3.2l usually need to have the engine rebuilt in the 100k+ mileage range?

If i get a PPI, will the technician be able to tell if the car may need a rebuild in the near future?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

There are some real authorities on these cars here on this forum so I'm sure someone will chime in with some good insight. FWIW, I have an '88 Carrera that has been in my family since it was purchased new in 1988. It now has 130k miles. Although it runs very well (I even take it to the track from time to time), I have just dropped it off for a top end rebuild because it began smoking to the point that I was getting dirty looks when I took it out. Probably the valve guides.

I'm sure that there are cars that have gone a lot further than 130k without any real issues but I would be inclined to seek out a car that had already had the top end freshened up as its not a cheap job.

Either way, you're going to love whatever you end up with. These are great cars. Just make sure to get a good PPI! Good luck!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rebuild time is expensive, no way around that. I would buy Pete's book (I lent mine out ages ago and never got it back), and Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook.

I happen to know that a 3.2 will go over 300K without a rebuild. If I were to take an engine down as far as to remove the heads and cylinders, it's no biggie to keep going and replace the main bearings. I'd spend the extra 6K or so and get Mahle Sport or plain Mahle pistons and cylinders. I would probably do a proper 300K rebuild with new tenstioners, exhaust valves, etc. You need to set aside 12-15K for such a rebuild, but it's worth it if the rest of the car is fully restored, or meticulously maintained.

Look at the entire car. You should evaluate the entire package as a whole with future expenses in mind, especially if you intend to drive it.

Quick Reply: Newbie questions on 87-89 911