Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel tank internals

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 07:39 PM
kenrinc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel tank internals

Does anyone know if the insides of a 911 fuel tank has any baffles in them? From what I can see with my small mirror it doesn't but I'd like to confirm. It's a tank from an early car and it's been dented slightly on the bottom. I'd like to pull this dent out and will probably use an inner tube from a tire to do it but wanted to know if there were any bafles I had to deal with.

Thanks.

Ken
Old 12-12-2002, 10:09 PM
gregm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were, or rather there are no baffles inside the tank. I used slushing compound and sealer on the insides of the tank from my '96 911E. There was nothing in there except some rust. Be sure to thoroughly vent the tank to displace any residual gasoline vapors that may be present prior to working on the tank.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know about the early tanks, but '73 CIS and later tanks have an internal baffling arrangement.

You don't need an inner tube to straighten the tank. Just plug the openings and apply compressed air. A rubber mallet can help to break things free, once the tank is pressurized. Watch out for stuff coming loose inside the tank after this. You should change your fuel filter after a tank or tow of fuel.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank internals