I need a new clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post I need a new clutch...

Damn the torpedos! I want to do my G50 clutch R&R myself. I know this is crazy for someone who messed up a slave cylider R&R. But I really want to do this job. I've been researching and rounding up local tools and help. I'll probably go with the Automotion fork upgrade to save on drilling and will probably run my flywheel to the wrench for resurfacing. The engine drop and clutch work I want to do myself. Who has done DYI'ed this monster job and how was it?
Old 04-15-2002, 07:14 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Rick,

I´m not sure if the Pelican Articles will help at all, but there is plenty of detail on how to replace the clutch and all the rest. You can find these on <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm</a>

Good luck
Old 04-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks. I know all about it. The Pelican site is not working to well these days and the article only covers clutches up to 1986. Since I need to do a fork update and have a hydraulic slave on the tranny too, I need to hear from someone who has done an '87 or later.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:27 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Rick, I've done this procedure many times, on an SC, Carrera and 964...there's not much difference...so you can use the pelican article with no problem - instead of disconnecting the clutch cable, just unbolt your slave cylinder from the trans. bellhousing before removing engine/trans. and the differences in the clutch do not matter, they pretty much unbolt and bolt up just the same as earlier/later clutches.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:27 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rick,

You can't resurface the G50 flywheels. You can probably turn it a little (very little) to clean up the surface, but you're not supposed to take alot off of the flywheel. Meaning, if it's warped, it's garbage. Roland Kunz posted the tech. reasoning and I believe it's due to excessive clutch travel or something to that effect. I can't remember specifically. I also remember reading this info. in the book "The Used 911 Story" by Peter Zimmerman. Nice book when hunting for a 911. Especially for a first timer.

Quick Reply: I need a new clutch...