Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Suspension: use shims to affect camber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never use grease on rubber fittings. Will increase slip and thus ware. We want the rubber to bind and act as a spring, not slip like a bushing.

At least that is my thought.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was my thought too, following the design of the original part. But the aftermarket rubber is harder and has less "twist". The glue lasted about a day before it broke free. When I took the Neatrix bushings back out, and inspected them, it became clear that no glue would ever hold them to the spring plate.

So I had this bad situation where the spring plates would not only turn inside the bushings, but they experienced sticktion, or hangup upon spring rebound. The ride height in the rear "sagged" or lost about a half inch of height. I had to to back and increase spring preload ultimately over 30mm of travel, or over 2 degrees of inclination of the spring plate.

That is why I was considering thicker torsion bars. At this point I doubt the torsion bars are the answer. I'm going to wait and see how the rubber bushings wear in. Since I have everything working well for now, and the handing is actually very good, I will take a wait and see approach.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep thinking of stuff I want to add:

If you need to adjust your ride height, you need to get a ride height wrench.

Also, those rear bolts that attach the springplate to the banana arm are hard to reach with a socket wrench. You can get leverage to turn the nuts back there if you lock two combination wrenches together (it was hard to get the wrenches to stay, but you get the idea with this shot).

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension: use shims to affect camber?