Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I Love My 1986 Carrera - Here's Why (Long!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I Love My 1986 Carrera - Here's Why (Long!)

I'm still getting to know this car...it's my first Porsche and so different from anything else I've driven that it might as well be another species of transport. Having said that, I've logged a few miles behind the wheel, so I thought I'd pass along a few impressions. I hope you enjoy them and maybe even recall your first few miles behind the wheel of a P-car.

I drove a Honda S2000 for four years before buying a 2003 M3 convertible, which my wife now daily drives. Therefore, my points of reference are distinctly modern. I also rented a Cayman S for one week last year, and that car, also, couldn't be more different from the air-cooled model I now own.

My first impression is one of tank-like solidity. The car has no squeaks or shimmies, and even driving over railroad tracks doesn't send it shaking. Very impressive for a 23-year-old convertible. The entire car gives the impression of being over-built and over-engineered. I even have velour carpeting in the front hood...I love that stuff!

This car sends more sensory inputs my way than anything else I've ever driven. During my buying process, I sat in an '89 Targa and was disturbed by what I thought was the smell of leaking fuel. I now know that combination of gas, oil, and leather must be part and parcel of the old-school P-car ownership experience. It's present in my car and I find it intoxicating!

Just as the Cayman had the best power-assisted steering I've ever felt, this car has the best non-power steering. I have a Turbo Look, and the wide fenders and tires make low-speed turns an involving experience - although by no means awkward. It's great how the steering lightens up at higher speeds while providing an unfiltered impression of the road. This is my favorite thing so far..it's so nice to get away from over-assisted power racks.

This car's 915 transmission was rebuilt nine years and 20,000 miles ago. The clutch is tight as a drum. While the S2000 shifted like butter, the clutch takeup was somewhat indefinite. That's sure not the case with this car! Slotting the shifter perfectly into first gear gives me a real feeling of accomplishment. In "The Used 911 Story," Pete Z advises to pause a fraction of a second in neutral before finding one's next gear with the 915, and I find it does help. Second-to-third presents a challenge in this car. I like the 915. It's "old school" in a good way and feels great when everything goes right. I intend to fill it with fresh Swepco at the first opportunity, along with installing new shift bushings.

I've noticed that I can't drive this car in running shoes. The pedal box is the tightest I've ever felt. It just gives me another excuse to pull the trigger on a pair of Pilotis, so thank you, Porsche. I'm helping to kick-start the economy!

What else has struck me? The fascinating up-and-down oil level gauge. The rec-room thickness of the interior carpet. The strange little rocker switches scattered across the underside of the dash. The mysterious heiroglyphics of the climate control sliders. The wonderful bolstering of the sport seats. The upright driving position. The refreshing absence of anything resembling a cup holder. The easy-to-read dipstick. The tool kit! You could build a house with that thing. And most of all...turning the key and hearing that engine bark to life. This is a noisy car, but I just happen to love every noise it makes.

These are just a few of the things that make this car so special to me. I didn't buy it to go fast...it's a cab and will likely never see a track. I bought it to follow winding roads on weekend mornings and very occasionally take the long way in to work. I've just begun to get to know it, but for now I'm very, very happy with the way it goes, steers, stops, and just is.

Last edited by Helios59; 05-15-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great writeup, I feel very much the same way about my 993. I keep hearing that the '80s Carreras are nice cars, but too 'raw' for every day driving. I recently had an opportunity to drive an '84 and an '89 back to back and loved both of them - I could easily live with them for daily drivers. The rawness and great driver communication are exactly what I love about these cars.

I also find that driving my car in my usual pair of cross trainers a bit awkward, and recently purchased a pair of Piloti Prototipos. I found them at a local store for what seemed like a pretty good price - $67. The Piloti site had the same shoes for $89+shipping/handling. It looks like my local shop will ship, so you might be able to save some money by buying from them. Here's the link: http://www.kaedings.com/index.php?ma...9s00t394dpffc6. The usual 'no affiliation' disclaimer applies here. Of course you may be able to find them for less at a shop local to you.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helios,

I am in the same boat as you, though my car is less refined and in poorer condition than yours. But I am truly in love. mine is heavier on the gas and oil smell, and the irreplacable smell of 1965 German headliner padding - all my VWs have it, too. There is no comparison!

Read the "911 idiosyncracies" post - you are not alone.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Helios, beautiful writeup. You may enjoy Paul Frere's book "911 Story", Bob Bondurant's book on high performance driving, and a Bentley Publishing 911 Carrera Service Manual, if you have not already partaken.

A few things have enormously increased my enjoyment and feel of my completely stock 911: the Wevo shifter, 930S steering wheel, ProCooler AC receiver dryer, and the under dash AC vent from Kuehl or however he spells his funky name.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a high,..pushing the limits...

I live for it,..can do it with any shoe that I own....

Doyle
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Dan_N
Advanced

Nice read. I'm learning to shift the 915 and it's growing on me.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome write-up! Your post brings me back to my first days in my new-to-me 1979 911 SC Targe back in the early 90s. Between the heaviest damn clutch in the world (my left calf muscle got very, very strong) and steering that could provide feedback from a pebble, I was and still am in heaven...

These are great cars. I wish I could own many, many more - all at once! There are so many Porsches to appreciate.

-Blake
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It seems like you read my mind. I refer to it as "built like a tank"...

whenever I get compliments about it at the gas station or grocery store. I also complained about the gas smell when I test drove it. I had all the flexible gas lines replaced prior to taking delivery.

A few other unique things to love/relate:
  • Looking over the hood and seeing the bulbous fenders.
  • Yanking hard on the lever to open the rear deck lid.
  • Closing a door and hearing the solid sounding thud.
  • Operating the oddly placed flip switch to open the sunroof.
  • You must insert a key to open a door.
  • How well the interior lights work, even though they are oddly located and small in size.

Tony (currently investigating how to get my A/C to blow cold)
'88 Carrera
Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

The great thing is ....you'll come to love this car even more over time! Enjoy the gas smell. I've owned three 911s over 33 years and they all smelled of gas and leather. ( a unique smell that is only classic Porsche!) In regard to the 915...don't ever "force" it. "Feel" your way into each gear WITH the car. You won't gain much time by overpowering your shift and the mechanicals will last much longer!! ENJOY.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Andrejack
The great thing is ....you'll come to love this car even more over time! Enjoy the gas smell. I've owned three 911s over 33 years and they all smelled of gas and leather. ( a unique smell that is only classic Porsche!) In regard to the 915...don't ever "force" it. "Feel" your way into each gear WITH the car. You won't gain much time by overpowering your shift and the mechanicals will last much longer!! ENJOY.

I don't think this is good advice. Please do not ever tell anyone that gasoline smell is normal. I hate seeing perfectly good cars catch fire. Do a search, it isn't all that uncommon. Gas smell isn't good and it isn't normal. I've never had a gas smell in my car of any kind, and I've not been in any 911's that do either, if there wasn't something wrong.

Exhaust and the scent of oil burning on the exhaust, yes, but not fuel.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 AM
bodykits
Banned

I don't think this is good advice. Please do not ever tell anyone that gasoline smell is normal.
Agree to that mate.. its freakin' not good to smell gasoline.. it stinks...
Old 05-16-2009, 06:24 AM
TA911-64
Instructor

I know this issue has come up before. My apologies for word choice "gas smell". The thought of a cabin full of raw gas would make anyone sick. There is, however, a distinct aroma in 911s (every one I've been in) that's unmistakable. My guess is that this is what he was referring to. Agreed, RAW gas fumes would be highly questionable! The point is well taken, Ed.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

He mentioned replacing gas lines, so I assumed he's talking the real deal.

We're all on the same page now!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea.

This car has no problems with the fuel lines and there's no smell of raw gasoline in the cabin. Tom hit it on the head; there's a special aroma in this car that I find very attractive.

Here's what I see when I climb in the cabin:

Last edited by Helios59; 12-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good correction Ed. I must say, I knew what Tom meant when he referred to that "gas" smell... It is actually more "exhaust and leather" and I find that intoxicating (poor word choice, I know)...

Enjoy that beatiful car Helois! Those VDO gauges look great!

-Blake

Quick Reply: I Love My 1986 Carrera - Here's Why (Long!)