Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery fumes/smell-ideas other than baking soda

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

The issue to keep in mind is that cleaning up the acid on the outside is not hard and if not too much time has elapsed, the VISIBLE damage will not be bad.

The issue that normally bites us is the small amount of acid that likely has leaked through the various holes in the battery tray into the void between the fuel tank support and suspension pan. If you had even a small leak, you can pretty much count on having some acid in here. The area surrounded by the red line I added to your photo below is the fuel tank support. It is what is under there that must be addressed (in a way like I suggested previously). Again, the visible damage in my car was very slight. I wish now I had taken a “before” picture to show that. As such, I don’t think my car had suffered a big eruption either, just a leak. A little acid sitting in that cavity will cause a lot of damage over an extended time period.

Luckily, you are still early in the game so I think you stand a good chance of getting that acid taken care of in that cavity.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilson95
All-

So my original alternator went and cooked my battery.

Everything is cleaned up/repaired and good as new, but the reminder is the nasty cooked battery smell that remains.

I put an open small bowl of baking soda in the passenger compartment and in the front trunk where the spare tire used to be to absorb as much of the smell upon recommendation of my local indie shop.

Any other ideas/proven remedies?

thanks,

It is MUCH more likely your regulator "went" and cooked your battery. In my case it was the small encapsulated RFI/EMI "add-on" filter that failed and "cooked" the battery. But I didn't find that out until the second regulator also cooked the new battery, almost.

Removed the add-on filter and now the charging system seems to work perfectly but it appears that running with an overcharging condition has compromised the CDI module, car runs perfectly in cool weather or if I "ice" down the CDI module.

Contacting Loren for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Battery fumes/smell-ideas other than baking soda