Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Driving Experience.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 04:31 PM
n8marx
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tminus3,

Keep looking. Anyone who says you can't get a great 911 for less than $20k is trying to screw you.

I was looking for an SC nationwide last summer when in July I found and purchased my '86 Carrera coupe for $18.5K after a spotless PPI. She is triple black, had 92k miles at the time of purchase, a recent tranny rebuild as well as a realatively new clutch. It is truly a beautiful car inside and out other than 3 or 4 small rock chips. In addition to being in fantastic condition it came with an extra set of Fuchs with track tires, a custom cover, a bra, and a couple of unused sets of track brake pads.

To date I have thoroughly enjoyed putting another 5K miles on her. She is hibernating for the winter but will emerge in the spring a little bit lower and meaner.

Keep looking, good Carreras are out there for less than $20k. Good SCs are out there for well less than $20k.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:34 PM
eugene
Racer

Abhi.

Be patient. You will find a good car.

Don't forget to join the PCA. There are several chapters in New Jersey.( Northern New Jersey, Schattenbaum, Jersey Shore........)

Many car related activities and plenty of available information and helpful members to help
you and your car in whatever areas you may want to participate in.

Good luck.

Eugene.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:29 AM
tminus3
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Hey Guys, how drastic is the performance difference between a SC and a Carrera? How is the difference in driving? Do they pretty much feel the same?

I am only asking because I am also considering going with an SC instead of a Carrera and having a good chunk of money (approx. $10k) left over for repairs and restorations etc.

Any advice?

Regards
Old 12-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Abhi, you are going to be a fine addition to the 911 ranks! Welcome!
Old 12-18-2002, 01:15 PM
n8marx
2nd Gear

To be honest, I have driven only 3 911s. One was a '77 Targa with a carbed 2.7, one was a 100K mile SC with a 3.0 and the other is the Carrera I ended up buying.

The SC was really a tatty example that I drove the day after I test drove the Carrera. My impression at the time was that it didn't seem to pull the way the Carrera did. The numbers are fairly similar for the two so the SC may just have been out of tune.

The carbed 2.7 belongs to a friend of mine. It feels very fast, mostly due to the carbs singing out back but my Carrera dusts it regularly.

If you can afford it I'd go for the Carrera if for no other reason than that you get away from CIS and into a motronic FI system. I have no practical experience but I believe with CIS you need to be much more diligent about keeping it tuned, timed, etc. Motronic does that for you.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

the primary difference between SCs and later carreras (87-88) is the G50 transmission. there are a number of other differences, but the best way to learn is to see for yourself by test-driving a number of cars.

it's smart to set aside funds for needed repairs. but keep in mind that these cars are not an investment per se. a $10k car with an additional $10k in parts and service does not translate to a $20k car. yes, you can recoup a lot of your money if you buy the right car. but, you can also get turned upside down pretty quickly if you have the wrong one. that's why a PPI is a must.

i think bruce anderson's advice is best. buy the newest car that you can afford, with some money set aside for repairs. so, if you have $20k to spend, you may be better off with a solid $15k to $18k car, than an older $10k one that needs some work.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,978 Likes on 2,816 Posts
I agree. I'd spend nearly all of the $20k on a near-perfect car (mechanically and cosmetically). Then, if something needs fixing and you're out of money, take the bus until you can afford repairs. Should get you a much nicer car in the long run than a $15k car that needs work.

Quick Reply: My Driving Experience.