Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man,..that is sweet.

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 05-07-2009, 07:28 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rusnak: very nice diagram.......super thanks!!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

With all due respect, I don't like Rusnak's scheme. This is the simplest way (well actually, my lift is the simplest-easier than the two hoist method IMO)

Raise the entire car level. IIRC, I think 25" clear under the rear t-bars is enough. Get everything ready, and get the jack under the engine. Start to lower the engine, maybe a couple of inches to make sure it is clearing. THEN, LOWER THE FRONT (of the car) SLOWLY. You can do this easily coming in with a floor jack at an angle behind one of the front wheels. This lifts the *** of the car UP off the motor. Keep in mind your motor is level and much more manageable the whole time. You may find you lower the engine a bit in between lowering "spurts" on the front end. When the front wheels are on the ground, the valance is pretty high up. It seems to me that 36 or 38" was the clearance needed to roll the engine out. You do need the big jackstands for this. This works, and works well-much easier than sticking the rear way up in the air to begin with. Re-installation is the reverse.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, there are a lot of different ways to lower the 911 engine, that's for sure! I can't take credit for "my" approach. I got it from Fred Cook on Pelican. I prefer to call it the "Fred Cook" method, in order to give him full credit.

We should add that it's a good idea to put the trans in "4th" before disconnecting the shift coupler. The tranny input shaft should clear the tunnel opening before lowering the engine.

Quick Reply: dropping engine