Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to mix wine tasting in N. Calif with Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Default How to mix wine tasting in N. Calif with Porsches

Last weekend, my wife and I went to the Napa Valley for some wine tasting. On the way up, we went across the Golden Gate to make a stop in Petaluma, which is in Sonoma County.

For those that don't know it, Kevin Buckler, who owns The Racer's Group, not only races Porsches (and now Nascar too) in the Grand-Am and Koni Series', he also owns Adobe Road Winery.

They opened specifically for us, as they are by appointment only, and his Winery Manager, Tara, was a sweetheart. They do pretty well with the wines in competition, so that was one of several shipments we got in this week.

I also got to nose around the shop while there, although it was pretty quiet as they were all at VIR last weekend. This is definitely a must-do for those that may be in the area and like wine to go with their Porsches.
Attached Images      
Old 05-03-2009, 11:13 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WAY COOL...I'm a big wine fan, for sure. Can appreciate this run...

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sonoma is less snobby than Napa, and there are a ton of wineries there. Korbel has a touristy place, but I had a blast there. The Sonoma county airport has hot air balloon rides. The best sushi that I ever had in my life was in some grocery anchored shopping mall. They had some crazy wild 3-dimensional sushi.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3D Sushi!!! Cool.....

Ed and Rusnak: you guys seriously into wine? I am a disciple of the grapeskin.....maintaining my cellar just as I would my Porsche. Actually, it can be a bit MORE expensive than the 911 at times.

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-04-2009, 07:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I can't consider myself a disciple. I get headaches with some types of red wine. My theory is that they use too much sulpher to prevent mildew. Nowdays I stick to my favorites and don't venture too far out there. I like a soft Pinot or semi-dry Cab Sauv, in order to pair with certain foods.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've got a bit of a hoard.....just put another 20 bottles in the cache after our Napa trip. Nothing real crazy, other than a few Bordeauxs that I like. I'm partial to cabs and meritage/Bordeauxs.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ed, there is a Bordeaux style wine from Alexander Valley Vinyards called Cyrus. I think the 2006 was the year to buy. I have been trying to replicate that experience with the 2007 to no avail. It has a mix of Cab, Merlot, and something else that I can't recall.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I had some 3-D Sushi once in Miami. The sushi was great, but the young lady that served as the serving table was stunning! Very interesting, but all in good taste (sorry for the pun)
Old 05-05-2009, 12:51 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

she was immobilized? She had the blowfish perhaps?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The other varietal in Bordeauxs is typically Cab Franc.

I actually tasted a cab franc last week that I liked, and I typically don't when they are on their own.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 AM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feh.

I like wine. I won't lie. I prefer German Rieslings of nearly every stripe and color, Pinot Grigio of various sorts, and the occasional Champagne. Well, lots of champagne, when I can manage it.

But I am a BEER SNOB. Don't get me started. But I prefer racing gas. And burning rubber.

Sheesh....must Porsche and wine be eternally intertwined, along with a mild smattering of opulent and excessively indulgent cheeses? Cripes, we risk becoming the laughing stock of the performance car world, what with the PCA and all.

Well, I suppose the Ferrarri guys have better cheese.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 AM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...but not better bier. Never.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ditch68
Feh.

I like wine. I won't lie. I prefer German Rieslings of nearly every stripe and color, Pinot Grigio of various sorts, and the occasional Champagne. Well, lots of champagne, when I can manage it.

But I am a BEER SNOB. Don't get me started. But I prefer racing gas. And burning rubber.

Sheesh....must Porsche and wine be eternally intertwined, along with a mild smattering of opulent and excessively indulgent cheeses? Cripes, we risk becoming the laughing stock of the performance car world, what with the PCA and all.

Well, I suppose the Ferrarri guys have better cheese.

Jeff

A great semi-dry Riesling is by Chateau St. Michelle. And goes for about 12 per bottle. It is surprisingly good. Some Aussie wineries have fantastic Rieslings too. In my opinion, too many are too sweet, and not dry enough.

You guys got any beer suggestions? I'm stuck in a rut and only buy Stella Artois or Sapporo.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm on Boddington's right now...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ed, I moved out when I was 16 and you will never guess where I went.....Sonoma, that is correct. Had you said something I could have pointed you to some of my favorite little spots along the way. Had a bullet go through the brim of my hat just off Hwy 12. Found a man half dead and covered in blood just off Hwy 12. I even used to love going up into the cemetery. Never tried the wine though.

Quick Reply: How to mix wine tasting in N. Calif with Porsches