Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got to experience "trailing throttle oversteer" today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got to experience "trailing throttle oversteer" today...

On the way to work, the off ramp at my exit off the I-10 is a long, sweeping corkscrew to the right, and over a bridge. It has a decreasing radius at the top where the bridge transitions, and nice new asphault (but not on the bridge, that's concrete). It is, of course, fun. My old 1999 Camaro with many, many suspension mods was fun, the 924S a little less stable, but the 911...wow.

I pushed a little harder today...

On the exit lane I downshifted into 4th, then third, and began the ramp curve on the inside line, and accellerated smoothly up to 4500 or so (not sure, was watching the road). There was a truck a fair distance up the ramp, almost on the bridge when I got started. Well, I came up on him, not close, but enough to lightly back off....bad idea. I was likely going 80mph or so, and here I feel something in my gut was "not quite right", and then the rear end tries to pass me on the left! Woo hoo!

Well, I turned into the skid, and kept the throttle even, and then gave it some more, just a little. I didn't brake at all, or this thread would be about wrecking out into a guard rail. It snapped right back into line. I nearly pooed myself.

I have years of fast offroad driving experience, so "dirt tracking" it was, while surprising and unsettling on a flat, clean asphault turn in a sportscar, not something requiring panic.

It's funny how everything goes slow motion, and you have nanoseconds (which feel like minutes) to consider if you can handle your own bodywork - I'm not kidding, that's what I was thinking.

The final analysis - 911 lift throttle oversteer is real...if you are really pushing it - and have a short wheelbase car and less than ideal tires, especially.

I cannot lie, it was a blast! Is that wrong?

Jeff
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you and others survive it was not wrong....at least until next time...!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could of lived up to your handle
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 PM
ditch68
Racer

Tippy,

Only if my handle was "galvanized guardrail 68"

Jeff
Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

There would be a lot more 911's on the road if everyone had either the skills/experience to control a car, as you had, or enrolls in some PCA or similar DE's. Learning to trust your right foot is the key.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ditch68
Tippy,

Only if my handle was "galvanized guardrail 68"

Jeff
Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 AM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
There would be a lot more 911's on the road if everyone had either the skills/experience to control a car, as you had, or enrolls in some PCA or similar DE's. Learning to trust your right foot is the key.
Thanks, Ed. I'll take that as a compliment. I just finally joined the PCA, and will be attending every track event I can. I also have some co-workers who do SCCA Solo (Subaru WRX Sti and a Miata), and plan on doing that as well.

It is very hard not to obey natural instinctive tendencies to S L O W down in such a spot. Rational thought can be quite rare in stressful situations!

The "Baja" bug is prone to developing oscillating fishtailing at 60+ mph in sand, overcorrection and braking means certain disaster. Luckily for me, the same correction applies for TTO. Power out, and tell happy stories over beers later!

Jeff
Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 AM
sobastrace
AutoX

I had a similar experience on the transition onto the 110 from the Vincent Thomas bridge. It taught me to judge things a little differntly.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DE/Track days are fun but it can be very expensive to drive at 9+/10ths.

Go to a few Autocrosses (SCCA Solo2) where you can drive at 11/10ths all day long and live to tell the tale. The skills you gain will one day save your life on the road and give you better skills at the track.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ditch68
Thanks, Ed. I'll take that as a compliment. I just finally joined the PCA, and will be attending every track event I can. I also have some co-workers who do SCCA Solo (Subaru WRX Sti and a Miata), and plan on doing that as well.

It is very hard not to obey natural instinctive tendencies to S L O W down in such a spot. Rational thought can be quite rare in stressful situations!

The "Baja" bug is prone to developing oscillating fishtailing at 60+ mph in sand, overcorrection and braking means certain disaster. Luckily for me, the same correction applies for TTO. Power out, and tell happy stories over beers later!

Jeff
It was a compliment, I'm sure your dirtwork helped you. I've done some fishtailing oscillation in mine a couple of times on the track. It usually happens when I'm away from the track for a few months and make an overcorrection. Kinda fun though....

It is absolutely counter-instinctive. A spin on two at 70 or 80mph (on a track) will pretty much cure that thought process, however. I've often said that everone should spin a 911 at speed at least once (on a track).

I find that the track, with 20-25 minute sessions is a lot more fun and productive for me than intermittent 1 minute runs on an AX course. But, that serves a purpose too.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

New years day of '08 I went on the Julian run with the Pelican guys. We left here early and made the 100 drive to Escondido prior to the long drive up into the twisties. After lunch we ran down the 8 into San Diego. That afternoon after then heading over to Sea World and up to Oceanside where I spun my car. I had a 997 in front of me and a vette behind. The light on the on-ramp turned green and off we went. It was the Camp Pendleton on-ramp, a quick left then a long right that opens up onto seven lanes of traffic. I went from on the *** of the 977 to looking right at the vette. I remember being floored in second gear. I refused to lift and just pushed the wheel into it. My hat flew up and somehow my wife caught it. The car snapped back to the left pretty quickly and I was looking at the vette out the other side of the car this time. I got her settled back down but stalled facing the curb. I had to back into traffic to get going. Needless to say I stopped at the next rest stop for a quick check around and not a scratch. I later remembered someone up at Julian asking me why I had so much camber in the back. Let's just say I put and end to that with some nice BHD's from Steve. She doesn't do that anymore. I've been back there, now with better camber, better octane, better shoes, and a better outcome. Way to much fun to stop.

I must have gotten sucked into the vortex created by the 997's turbos getting momentarily chocked as he dropped it into second.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure too much camber was your problem.

Ever looked at the back of a Cup Car?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Porsche's love rear camber. If you don't want to risk your P-car learning TTO, try a Spec Racer Ford on track. It handles a lot like a Porsche (just w/o all the HP) but it'll teach you how to use power and a smooth steering wheel input in a heartbeat. Sounds like you you did real good to keep your wits and keep driving it. I especially liked your comments regarding the thoughts running through your head and the micro-seconds seeming like minutes. It's funny how your mind works in a situation like that.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job.

Lot's of fun when there is room to play, but scary when it surprises you.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
jwilson95
Racer

I'm coming from a Boxster S and loved the neutral handing. I've read about the lift throttle oversteer since I was a kid reading Road and Track, etc.

I've pushed mine pretty hard to the point of my personal comfort level on a similar off ramp and have not brought the rear end around, but have felt the weight shift toward that direction. I'm too scared of trying to do that and then the end result being an expensive repair.

Any good way of replicating or practicing this in an abandoned parking lot or elsewhere so your first time is not the real thing?

Not a track or AX guy and would feel funny about doing it in a cab anyway.

Quick Reply: Got to experience "trailing throttle oversteer" today...