911 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 08:41 PM
Paul H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911 Exhaust

A couple of questions about my 2.7 exhaust:

1) Was there a major change in the exhaust from '74 to '75? I have really long exhaust studs on my '75 2.7 engine, they seem way too long for the '74 exhaust I am fitting. What's up? Do I need to replace all these studs? If so do I have to use Porsche studs, or can I use M8 'set screws'?

2) Is there a top/bottom on the exhaust gasket? One side is shiny, the other is dull and has a little bit of the inner gasket material showing, does it matter which side contacts the block?

3) My old engine had high temp silicone on both sides of the old gaskets. Is there a Porsche exhaust leakage problem I should know about?

A lot of questions for a small problem... Any input would be appreciated.

Warming up to the new layout, still prefer the old format...
Old 06-06-2001, 12:11 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the long studs were for the hot running thermal reactor exhaust system. they had thick flanges that warped and leaked. the studs were skinny in the middle and easy to break. if you replace them, you will probably have to drill them all out. exhaust studs don't come out easily, especially those long skinny ones. you could make spacer sleeves. a bit mousy, but easier. i put the shiny side of the gasket towards the exhaust, the thought being that it's reflective, but who knows if it makes any diff.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:17 PM
Paul H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I knew you'd come through for me, thanks John.

PS I am well aware of the probability of broken head studs.(and the difficulty of properly repairing them).

Quick Reply: 911 Exhaust