Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch pedal question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal question

Quick question, if my clutch is out of adjustment would it cause the pedal to not retrun fully. Everyting is fine, no grinding, get into all gears with no problems. However I can pull the pedal up about one inch with my toe.

Ernie 81SC
Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

If i remember correctly there is a big *** spring on the clutch pedal to help return it to it's prpoer location. there is also an Omega helper spring under the car that is fastened to the arm . I would check both of these. I imagine one of these could be broken.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
emac
Racer

Ice
Checked both and they are OK>
Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

hmmmmm....

I checked mine and it is definitely at top of travel. is something possibly binding in the pedal bushing that is stopping it from returning ? I changd mine allout to the Bronze ones when I first got the car . Originally they were a white plastic type stuff.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
emac
Racer

I seems to be in the rear not the cluster. I did notice that the small spring on the other side of the cable is missing, but I dont think that has anything that would cause the issue. Was under the car about 30 times last night because I had to push the pedal in and go back under. It appears that the omega spring might be binding but I cannnot see where. Cable is tight so I really doubt a adjustment. Everything works perfect but since I discovered it I am going nuts trying to track it down.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a spring on the transmission, in addition to the big ol omega spring. It sounds to me like your clutch cable is out of adjustment though.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
emac
Racer

Your right, I am missing the smaller spring albeit I am convinced it has nothing to do with this. Dumb question. If my cable is tight no slack-- could it still be out of adjustment?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I am just guessing. I think my friend's SC was doing the same thing until I adjusted the cable for him. I was focused on the transmission and I was not checking the pedal. But it makes sense to check the adjustment because tightening the cable will make the pedal come up. You should have a small amount of pedal slack. With the cable disconnected, the gap should be about 1.2 mm. Connect the cable, then adjust the cable so the gap is 1.0 mm. You should have about 25mm of clutch cable travel.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I just thought of something. I was assuming that your pedal had too much play, meaning that the amount the pedal moved before you could feel it pull on the clutch.

If your pedal play is ok, but the pedal itself can be pulled "back", then maybe your pedal stop in the floorboard is simply adjusted too high. If so, then that is a simple and quick fix.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:26 PM
emac
Racer

Here is the problem-- Clutch engages perfect but I notice that when I am driving and it doesn't matter what gear I am in I can place my toe on the pedal and pull it back about a inch. Talked to my wrench and he said leave it alone, but I am it ****. How do you adjust the stop in the floorboard. One other thing. When I had her jacked up last night I pushed the pedal down and it returned but not all the way. To me it feels like its not the cluster but the rear, so I got back under the car and lightly moved the omega spring and it pulled the pedal back to where it should be. I then tried to turn the spring by hand but it wouldn't stay in the "stuck" position. Only when I push the pedal with my hand. Crazy I know but I want it right. I will try to adjust a little tonight unless the beer urge is too much.

Thanks for all your help

Ernie 81 SC
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The Omega spring wears out. It could be that.

I thought I read somewhere that the supply of replacements was low or out. It's easy to replace. If you really want to, you can replace the little spring on the tranny and the omega spring at the same time. Otherwise, I would just leave it alone for now.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:39 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ernie, I have had the same issue with mine since the mech did the clutch / trans rebuild.

I replaced my own Omega, and replaced the bracket that the cable hooks to that mounts to the trans when it broke. My Omega's not that old & was working fine when I brought the car to the mech. I also handed him a brand new clutch cable too so everything was a-ok. Same 1" upward travel when you hook it with your shoe & pull up. Same non-issue functionally. When I started to play with it to make it fully return, I started to get some grinding in R, so I put it back to where it was before & just mutter to myself about it.

Hope you're able to get yours working well again.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

they say talking to yourself is a mark of genius. It's when you start arguing with yourself that you're in trouble.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM
emac
Racer

To all my friends that replied--- Rusnak you were right, a simple clutch adjustment. I replaced the clutch about a year ago and I figure she is just breaking in. Got it to where I want it and no grinding in any gear. Also replaced the little spring. Again thanks to everyone.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 04-19-2009, 03:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

so no more dead travel ? was it just slack in the cable then when you lift the pedal?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal question