Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

65 911 headliner questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
jim1eddoc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 911 headliner questions

Thinking about replacing the headliner and noticed that there is no "finish" strip of cloth or metal at the edges except over one side window. This caused me to call Performance Products to ask if the finish strips came with the headliner kit and found the answer to be no... so, any one have a source for what I'm looking for? I'm sure there is an actual name for the finish strips.
If you prefer, you can e-mail me at jim1eddoc@charter.net
thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

first I would consult the PET on the porsche web site to obtain a part number and description. Then I would call Pelican and see what they can do .
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
jim1eddoc
AutoX

Default 65 headliner

hate to appear stupid...but what is PET and which Porsche web site?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim, I just did the headliner on my 67'. What strips are you referring to? The headliner is not an exact fit. All the glass has to come out, it has to be glued around the perimeter and then trimmed accordingly. It's a bit of an art form which requires patience, the right adhesive and a heat gun. You will definitely want to budget for new window seals at the same time. I did not reinstall my courtesy light or coat hooks, I just couldn't bring myself to cut holes in it!! It was hard enough to replace the rearview mirror and vent window latches. There is a huge difference in quality between headliners. You cn get cheap one from e-bay and you'll get what you pay for..... I ordered mine from Stoddard oem fit and quality. The difference is in the 'stretch' oem stretches beautifully were as the after-market/domestic is like vinyl, little to no stretch. It makes all the difference in the world during install. Hope this helps. Where are you located? If you're in the NE area I can certainly recommend a place for you.

Brgds, Peter
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...-1_KATALOG.pdf

It's 604 pages long....... but there is everything you could possibly need in there. You're interested in page 405, that should save you some time
Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Actually i don't know if you still can but i downloaded the whle thing on to my laptop. It is not only a great resource for parts and part numbers , but also for when bits fall off and I don't know where they go
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
jim1eddoc
AutoX

Thanks for all the help, butzip pix works for affixing the headliner over the doors. My side windows now are the problem and seem to have 2 different treatments. One side window has a rolled cord about 1/4" diameter across the top of the window that the closed window butts against it for sealing purposes, I would think. The other window doesn't have the cord and looks unfinished. I'm not sure if the 65 had a different treatment than butzip's.

I looked at the parts catelogue you recommended and it only posts for a 69 Porsche?

Quick Reply: 65 911 headliner questions