Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Before I get my manuals...a flurry of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I get my manuals...a flurry of questions.

Now that I have the car on the road and driving reasonably well, I can start to move on to fixing the myriad of small issues I have.

First, what is the best manual for maintenance and service? Factory manuals, Bemtley, (Haynes/Chilton in a pinch)? Best source (ebay...) I want to change the transaxle oil, what is best reccommended? I swear by Castrol GTX 20w50 for engine oil, so that's covered for the motor.

Here are some of the items on the laundry list:

1) Fuel gauge inop. I suspect the sender.

2) Cylinder head temp gauge inop

3) Oil level AND temp gauges inop - both pegged. There are two terminals on the oil sump tank with no wires attached - I assume they are these two.

4) Speedo seems to work, but the odometer is way off - meaning the miles roll by at twice the count per mile! (so much for the low mileage...LOL). Speedo is in Kph only. I'll have to figure out what Kph=Mph. I have a GPS. I'll use it tomorrow!

5)Turn signals are S L O W......I am guessing a tired relay. Where is it?

6) Left front brake caliper hangs...I suspect I will have to rebuild it.

7) The heater ducts are both disconnected from the fan shroud, but the right side window dash defog vent blows HOT air, and the driver's side fresh outside air. WTF? I'll be honest...I don't know what the lever by the shifter on the floor or the lever under the speedo do...I assume heater/defog controls, based on my VW experience. And the blower fan does not work. Basically, my car's HVAC system consists of wing windows. (Which I love).

Yep, I'm a newbie....

Jeff
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ditch68
Now that I have the car on the road and driving reasonably well, I can start to move on to fixing the myriad of small issues I have.

First, what is the best manual for maintenance and service? Factory manuals, Bemtley, (Haynes/Chilton in a pinch)? Best source (ebay...)
I found the bentley to be the best. Amazon has is, I do believe. 101 projects for your 911 is not to bad for the price, very wordy yet doesn't say much though.

I want to change the transaxle oil, what is best reccommended?
Whenever you solicit advice on this forum it is best to state the year of your car. There are differences. For instance, in 1987 the transmission changed and takes a different oil. Judging from your picture you have a pre-87 and thus would need the recommended 'swepco'. Others will have better and more specific recommendations

I swear by Castrol GTX 20w50 for engine oil, so that's covered for the motor.
Swear all you like, however, this is a very controversial subject and I don't think Castrol is strongly recommended. Search this subject out and you will be reading for weeks, good luck.

Here are some of the items on the laundry list:

1) Fuel gauge inop. I suspect the sender.
Seek bentley, they should have a trouble shooting guide.

2) Cylinder head temp gauge inop
This is aftermarket so who knows.

3) Oil level AND temp gauges inop - both pegged. There are two terminals on the oil sump tank with no wires attached - I assume they are these two.

4) Speedo seems to work, but the odometer is way off - meaning the miles roll by at twice the count per mile! (so much for the low mileage...LOL). Speedo is in Kph only. I'll have to figure out what Kph=Mph. I have a GPS. I'll use it tomorrow!

5)Turn signals are S L O W......I am guessing a tired relay. Where is it?
I could give my guesses but those would be useless. I would start hitting the search button, I recall seeing this subjects before. Hopefully others will give you more useful advice.

6) Left front brake caliper hangs...I suspect I will have to rebuild it.
Rebuild kits are out there and fairly cheap. I recently did all mine. It takes a while and it can get messy but it's cheap. Expect a long time of having them 'seat' however.

7) The heater ducts are both disconnected from the fan shroud, but the right side window dash defog vent blows HOT air, and the driver's side fresh outside air. WTF? I'll be honest...I don't know what the lever by the shifter on the floor or the lever under the speedo do...I assume heater/defog controls, based on my VW experience. And the blower fan does not work. Basically, my car's HVAC system consists of wing windows. (Which I love).

Yep, I'm a newbie....

Jeff
The HVAC system in a 911 is the most complicated thing every created. It is dubbed 'hitler's revenge'. Consult you manual as to what each lever does. I still don't get it call. Here is a good website that might help

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/ahoverview.htm

Cheers and good luck
-matt
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 PM
ditch68
Racer

Thanks very much, Matt.

Half the fun is the work, in my opinion. But I'm a gearhead. I installed new competition lap belts, and air cleaners yeterday. And a fire extinguisher between the seats. That's a personal requisite accessory for me.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The factory manuals will cost you a few hundred dollars and are of a more technical nature, so stick with the Bentley as your first choice.

Work on your brakes in pairs-whatever you do to your LH side, repeat on the RH.

Check all the gauge/sender electrical connections for starters.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

A crazy thought: if you have a KPH speedo, then wouldn't the odometer be counting kilometers?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 AM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
A crazy thought: if you have a KPH speedo, then wouldn't the odometer be counting kilometers?

Oh my God. I am an idiot.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 AM
ditch68
Racer

I resolved some of my issues, still working on others.

Got the oil temp gauge working, the wire off the pressure sender is broken off somewhere behind the firewall, I will have to dig it out from under the car.

I found the cylinder head temp sensor (I think), it may need replacement.)

Got all the running lights working, it was a combination of burnt out bulbs, corroded contacts, and the like. Replaced the flasher relay.

Hopefully this weekend I will be diving into the front brakes.

Putting some miles on the car is certainly helping to get the carbs back to where they should be. It runs and idles very well now. Just that flat spot at partial throttle, I have been told the accelerator pump diaphragms get old and stretched, and need to be replaced. They are at max adjustment, and though it helped, it is just shy of eliminating the stumble.

Thanks for the help so far.

Jack, I watched your videos. I almost wet myself. I definitely bought the right car. Well, right make & model, anyway...

Jeff
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car has a cylinder head temp gauge? Is it aftermarket? What year is your car? If it has wing windows I assume it's maybe a 911S? You should put some relevant car info in your sig, makes it easier to know where you're starting from. Anyway, I think only the Carreras (84-89) have cylinder head temp sensors but don't think there is a gauge; it is an input to the fuel injection system.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
The HVAC system in a 911 is the most complicated thing every created. It is dubbed 'hitler's revenge'. Consult you manual as to what each lever does. I still don't get it call. Here is a good website that might help

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/ahoverview.htm
While I have a 993, I have driven a 3.2 and can appreciate this. I would love to take that pic, maybe modify it a bit for humor's sake, and make a poster of it!

Nothing like driving with the windows down and you heater, defroster, "A/C" and fresh air blowing all at once!

-Bart
Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
ditch68
Racer

Troy,

The car is a bit of a "FrankenPorsche". It is a 1965 912, with a 1969 911T engine and transaxle. And later SC body parts....and stuff. That is what I was told at purchase. I do not, however, know 100% what is in the engine as far as cams, etc. It does have Webers, not fuel injection. The fan shroud is red, but who knows if it was with the engine all it's life. Will an engine serial number tell me definitively?

The cylinder head temp guage does indeed look aftermarket. There is a temp sensor of some sort which taps into the oil line coming from the right side head, the sender is just below the fan housing and to it's right. I'm assuming that is what it is for. Obviously the oil temp is off the dry sump tank.

I tried to make a sig, but the feature is disabled for me, I assume I don't have enough posts.

Bart, I have no bloody clue where to start on the HVAC. Good thing I live in Arizona.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Before I get my manuals...a flurry of questions.